world salt supply

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:30 am
Who the hell knows Set, there ain't no regulation...Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
China is famous for its gourmet inclination, and salt production has been a source of huge wealth.

http://www.salt.org.il/china1.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
I think if i poop in my garden before planting, i can sell the produce as organic . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:41 am
You probably could Set. To me, 'organic' means it contains carbon compounds, which pretty much covers everything.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:45 am
Organic butter is from organic milk, which comes from organic cows, who are raised organic to ... well, all is standarisized here :wink:

Organic farming in the EU - Facts and figures PDF-file!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
There could not be such a thing as "organic salt" for NaCl.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:15 am
satt_focusable wrote:
There could not be such a thing as "organic salt."
... which therefore we don't have in Europe :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:19 am
Re: world salt supply
iceman71 wrote:
will the world ever run out of salt?
thanks

let's hope not.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:43 am
But if salt is a source of wealth, it means that salt is one of scarce resources, even though it exists in the sea water abundantly... an economic theory.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
satt_focusable wrote:
I like the tastes of "naturally" made salt in those various places. It is not abundant in quantity.

Ok I'll have to take a picture of the salt lagoons on the baja this summer.
We're talking heaping amounts of salt.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:01 am
I don't know what the salt flats at Lake Eyre are considered to be. That's so big there's been land speed record attempts held there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:01 am
Salt is no longer a source of wealth. A very interesting book on the subject (human history as viewed through salt -- though this is loosely adhered to: the author also makes forays into the closely-related economies of fishing, whaling and spices, and the less closely related development of plumbing in medieval (by European standards) China):

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0142001619.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:59 pm
hey thanks for your views guys Very Happy
much appreciated
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:38 pm
Starting from the 30,000 trillion tons under Michigan at three tons per life time of an average of ten billion humans, we are ok for a million life times. Total may be million times the amount under Michigan = ok for a trillion life times = 70 trillion years. The 3 tons is likely high as much of what we use eventually finds it's way back to the ocean as sodium ions and chloride ions. If we start using plated sodium as a structural metal, we might run out before the sun becomes a white dwarf in 5 billion years. Has any one successfully coated sodium by sintering, sputtering or some other process than electro plating? The fire hazard would be at least as bad as making war planes out of magnesium, but sodium alloys are reasonably strong by weight. I suggested plating as sodium becomes lye = sodium hydroxide in damp air, rapidly, even violently, in water. Neil
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
husker wrote:

Ok I'll have to take a picture of the salt lagoons on the baja this summer.
We're talking heaping amounts of salt.

However it is still true that salt is economically scarce, i.e., it has positive value of price.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:45 pm
The book, "The Price of Salt" can be purchased for about $2.50 at this link. http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=1562800035&st=xl&ac=qr&src=dir
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
This is pretty much off-topic, but did you know that back in the 1980's or so, a group of investors came quite close to taking control of the world's supply of silver? They (the Bass family from TX, as I recall) ran out of money before they could pull it iff.
I recall reading (but I can't cite any references) that in the 1800's someone attempted to take over the matchstick industry; not by controlling the underlying ingrediants but by taking over all all of the manufacturers.
A variation, I guess on "Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:45 pm
Ni-He-Za.
Nick and Helga Zakutin.
When I lived in Riverdale, and the hamburgers came to town, we used to go to the St. Lawrence Market to get Ni-He-Za butter and eggs. Haven't done that in ages. Very good butter.

There's been a lot goin' on at CooksTalk lately about smoked salt. Not sure I can really get into that.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The book, "The Price of Salt" can be purchased for about $2.50 at this link. http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=1562800035&st=xl&ac=qr&src=dir

The price of the fiction story varies from $2.39 to $17.72. Does the cheapest one sell first?
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:21 pm
so obviously sea salt comes from the sea,where does table salt originate from????
i remember going to austria on a school trip in 1986 and visiting a salt mine,it was dark freezing cold and.........salty Very Happy
0 Replies