Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,048 • Replies: 42
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:24 am
na - we will run out of fresh water first
0 Replies

ApostropheThief

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 03:06 pm
It's not too hard at all to make salt if I recall correctly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 03:25 pm
Since I live in a region with some dozens salt thermes (two literally steps away from the house door) -and former salt productions- , I really wouldn't mind, if there was a salt shortage. ("Salt-Sheik Walter" doesn't sound that bad at all :wink: ).

But I seriously doubt - like the others - that we could run out of salt.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 04:02 pm
I hex a salt-pancake on Walters body politic.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:49 pm
ENOUGH SALT ?
plenty of salt here in canada ! so much salt being dumped on the roads and highways in the winter that groundwater-contamination has become a serious problem. new methods to spray saltbrine onto roads are being considered now to reduce contamination. (i wouldn't want to be without salt; just "a pinch" on a hard-boiled egg does it for me!).hbg [URL=can find info on canada's salt-mining here (really quite interesting) >>> http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume4/340-341.html
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:15 pm
Salt from the sea water requires electricity to make in mass.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
salt is also produced by the process of evaporation which requires very little electricity. along the mediteranian coast and in australia this process is used in a number of places. you can find a description of this process here >>> www.saltinstitute.org/11.html
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
I like the tastes of "naturally" made salt in those various places. It is not abundant in quantity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:44 pm
There is a brand of "natural" salt that one can purchase which is mined in the salt beds in Utah, such as the Bonneville Salt Flats. I don't know that the one's i've bought came from Bonneville, but it's not the only salt pan out there, by far.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:55 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
Salt from the sea water requires electricity to make in mass.

And lorries to carry it away ...

http://www.brittany-bretagne.com/pg/img/guerande.jpg

That photo is from a town festival in Britanny, where they still produce a lot of "natural" salt.

Famous -and delicious!- the 'handmade' butter with 'natural' salt.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:04 pm
husker wrote:
na - we will run out of fresh water first

Geological studies estimate that 55 counties of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan alone cover 30,000 trillion tons of salt.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:15 pm
Three things I don't worry about during my lifetime; water, sunshine, and salt. Wink
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:10 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Famous -and delicious!- the 'handmade' butter with 'natural' salt.

"Natural" salt is a balanced product of NaCl and MgCl2. Without the latter, salt tastes dry and sharp.
(For mass production of salt, a process of forced ionization is used for the sea water, where electricity is required. .. the resulted salt tastes poor! )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:02 am
'Fleur de sel from Guérande/Britanny cost about $ 6.50 in the US (and 4.90 € here) for 125 grams/4.4 oz

There's a nice website (flash required!) about the salt from Guérande HERE
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:10 am
I've used that salt Walter. It's very tasty. I'm also fond of 'sel gris', also from Brittany, I think. Regular sea salt is my everyday salt. Table salt is not welcome in my home. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:16 am
Well, cav, I like sel gris better as well: 3,20 €/kilo have convinced me :wink: (makes it more than eight times cheaper).

You get the salted butter, btw, with both kinds of salt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:21 am
I use the Breton sea salt at home--in t.o., i've got that salt mined in Utah. My Sweetiepie buys unsalted butter for herself, and salted butter for me--Lactantia, of course . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
Lactantia is good butter. I rarely keep salted butter around, as I use butter mostly for baking, and a good quality unsalted butter is fine on toast. I also like Ni-He-Za butter and eggs. I tried an organic butter once, and it was tasty, but at $6.00/lb., it wasn't THAT good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:27 am
What made it organic in comparison to other butter available on the market?
0 Replies