The Common Core

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 10:29 am
We all make assumptions. I assumed that the Common Core is a new "fast move" being pulled on the American public. I thought I would have my students research the Common Core during the coming spring semester.

A few days ago, I googled something completely other . . . I was looking for a right-wing blog I once read in which the author accused liberals of supporting the "see it say it" or "whole word" method of teaching reading and were, therefore, responsible for the dumbing-down of America.

What came up was conservative opposition to the proposed Common Core. I was stunned, because, to me, the Common Core sounds exactly like something the right would champion.

We know nothing about this. But our children and grandchildren will be schooled under the Common Core.

What do you know about and what do you have to say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 01:09 pm
@plainoldme,
Personally I feel this Common Core thing is going to set education back so far that there'll be no recovery in the next 3 or 4 generations. Possibly longer if it is not brought to an end promptly.

Common Core is basically just a bunch of hooey being tossed out so politicians and alleged brainiacs can feel good about themselves by testing up the wazoo and not truly reaching and educationing the children, their supposed help recipient. The majority of these people have never attempted teaching a child and therefore haven't the foggiest as to what is needed and that each child is an individual who needs to be viewed, treated and taught as such. They are not just (as of yet) statistical dots on a chart.

There was an interesting article the other day in The Washington Post by George Will.
www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-doubts-over-common-core-wont-be-easily-dismissed/2014/01/15/68cecb88-7df3-11e3-93c1-0e888170b723_story.html

Common Core will in the end breed ill will and conforming to such a disgusting degree that those who fail the 'new standard' will be disposed of and regarded as 'necessary losses'.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Listening.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 06:49 pm
I'm having my students collect material on the CC. There was a piece about reactions to the CC this morning on NPR. Apparently, both the left and the right are against it.

First, I heard that the National Council of Governors hatched the idea. Then I heard the book publishing industry did and I believe that one. Lately, I have been hearing that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is responsible.
0 Replies