maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Look at it this way. I stay in hotels a lot that have saunas and business centers that they offer "free" for guests (after I have paid of course). These hotels also have little refrigerators in them that I can use (for a fee).

I never use the sauna. I never use the business center. And I never open the little refrigerators.

The hotels offer all of these services that I never use. It isn't really a problem they offer these services. I look for the best rate... The fact that the hotels are bundling these services doesn't hurt me at all. I simply use the services I want (I like having free use of a gym). The services I don't want I just ignore.

Even though I don't ever use Saunas, I have never once refused to use a hotel simply because it had a Sauna I wouldn't use.

It seems like this is what you are doing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I did not get options. I did not progress to seeing them - I was shown a page to sign up for all in one, which I did not want.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:07 pm
@maxdancona,
I had no choice, and I don't need to hear about pomegranates or saunas as I understand the word choice: I could not get into my gmail unless I clinked on signing up for an all in one account. Does this sound familiar? I've said it several times. Maybe choices came later, but since I did not want an all in one account, I did not see them.

I guess I should have taken a screen shot.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I use (somewhat) gmail and the google search. I had to accept a bunch of crap including the google toolbar to get into my inbox. After getting all the wonderful options, I was somehow able to delete the clutter I didn't want.

It is kind of a pain in the neck to have to go through all that to check mail, and I don't need any more toolbars and other crap at the top of my screen. What I've got may only suit myself, but that suits me.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:34 pm
@roger,
I dumped pretty much everything from google+ after it arrived. The only thing I really use is the search and maps/streetview. I found gmail too annoying - I've got no interest in keeping whacking great chains of email conversations and I could never figure out how to keep only one email out of perhaps hundreds from someone.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
It was the same with yahoo. Yahoo wanted me to use all sorts of its services. I use two things at yahoo - an email and yahoo groups.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, you are not being tricked. This is Google's format now. You are one person, where ever you go, regardless of (for lack of a better word) the aps you use or don't, google is the whole format.
Microsoft is doing the same thing, so are new computers, even browsers.
You sign up for an account. It will remember passwords, your home address, favourites, bookmarks, music, mail and so on.
I realize you didn't sign up for the whole kit and kaboodle, none of us did, but this is what "the cloud" is about.
Again, once you enter your password, you can access your email and choose never to look at another page or not. Or you can and you'll have the same general experience regardless of whether you're at your computer at home or at the library, a friends or in mexico. Many people find these feature extremely helpful.
But, if you choose to ignore them, it wont change anything.
If its a paranoia thing about privacy. Trust me, we are all too late. And google already has your information. They won't get anything more than you give 'em.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:49 pm
@Ceili,
No, not about too late privacy. I just don't want a wash of emails from people who partake in google plus. I also have never liked the whole threaded thing - a lot of newspapers use that in a maelstrom of obfuscation.

Whatever, I'm out of it at this point since they presently let me access google and google maps. Haven't checked other aspects, being as I am too damned crabby.

Also, lest I repeat myself again, they did not give me a choice - sign up or do not access your gmail.

Maybe I'll reneg, but not soon.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:56 pm
@Ceili,
You say cloud; I say fog.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:09 pm
Quote:
I could not get into my gmail unless I clinked on signing up for an all in one account.

You are misinterpreting this Osso. You do have a choice.. All this means is that you can use all of the Google services that you want to use using one password. This is a good thing. They aren't forcing you to use anything. There is nothing to stop you from creating a different account.

Tell me why you can't just use email and ignore the other services? Your objection truly doesn't make any sense.

I think you are being silly, getting hung up on one phrase in a sign up page that doesn't hurt you in any way.

Of course this is your right. But, I think you are going to have the same problems with pretty much every service offered on the entire Internet.
Ceili

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I never get emails from people who've signed up for google +. The only time I see who is a member is when I go to google +. There are no requests unless a friend wants to add you and only when you go to that page, not through emails.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 09:55 pm
@roger,
Roger, for me it's a good thing. I travel quite a bit. I also use a lot of different computers. If I sign into one, it's the same as being at home. Which is very convenient for me.
I just bought a new computer. It has Windows 8. Same thing.
Every time I turn it off, I have to sign in. But only once. I don't have to sign into the mail account, facebook, a2k, or whatever. I don't have to ask people to break into my computer at the office or home to send me a file, or a photo.
I have a terrible memory. lol
This feature has saved my ass on a couple of occasions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 09:30 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't know I had a choice, and several of you have now told me I did if I had just kept on going with it.

I am not misinterpreting what happened - a screen that gave me the choice of joining the all in one or closing my gmail account (in small print), which I did.

I may go back and get another account when I simmer down, but that is not yet.
Their presentation was at least confusing, and on the sneaky side. As I said, I didn't see any opt out emails mentioned when I later read some online article since of course I couldn't get into my gmail account without joining. If I had joined, I gather from all of you telling me this often now, that I would have had opt out choices. I did not join since I didn't want an all in one account. It was set up badly.

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:32 am
@ossobuco,
Osso, I signed up for my google account about 10 years ago... when it was in beta - you had to get an invitation to use it. I definitely didn't sign up for all the rest.
This wasn't a trick or a secret. It's been talked about for years. Google is evolving and they're giving people what they've asked for, en masse.
Its the google platform. It's not so much opting out as deciding what you want to use.
My new computer has windows 8. Same thing. One password and through 'the cloud' I get to use whatever I want. I sign into my computer and I'm signed into every thing else on the internet from my mail to weather aps and facebook and so on.

As for your mail, it's now broken up into three parts. Primary, social and promotions (spam), you can break the mail into even more sections - categories or you can disable mail from specific senders or have it sent to a particular folder.
In December I got one email from google.
When I click on other applications, that's when I get notifications, pertaining to it. Like an upgrade on google earth, or a list of people I may want to follow on google +.
You may find another free mail program, but this is the way most of them will be working in the future.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:59 am
@Ceili,
Did you not read what I said? I wasn't told I could opt out of stuff if I joined the All in One. Now I know. If I had joined it, then I would have seen I could opt out.

I wish I could reproduce what the screens I saw showed since you and Max seem not to read what I said I saw.

I too joined google a long time ago by invitation.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:09 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Did you not read what I said?

Osso, this question is ironic. You don't seem to be reading what everyone else is saying. I have read every word that you have written on this thread and I understand. You are upset because Google is offering you services that you don't want.

You are missing the key point that we are trying to make, in fact you aren't even responding to it.

You opt-out of these serives by simply not using them. They aren't forcing you to do anything. There is no way that having services available that you don't use hurts or even inconveniences you in any way.

If you read this, then please explain why your objection makes any sense.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:43 am
@maxdancona,
They (google) even explained it (via email).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:47 am
@maxdancona,
I have said several times that I was not told - by the screen sequence I saw - that I could opt out of stuff once I joined. I get it that you all knew that when I did not. I would not have seen it until I signed up, which... I did not.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, I mentioned that, probably twice or three times now. But I could not get into my gmail - thus not seeing the emails - unless I signed up for the All in One business, and there was no clue that I could opt out if I did sign up.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 12:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I have said this several times. You still aren't listening.

You don't need to opt out. All you need to do is not use the service. This opting out thing you are so hung up on is meaningless if all you do is use email. It is irrelevant.

You are complaining about the ability to log into maps with your email account password. The aren't forcing you to do this.they are just making it possible. I don't get why you care.

I think you see being silly. I kind of understand the principle, but offering to let you use services didn't hurt you any real way.