How do you serve your meals at home?

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 07:15 am
@Lordyaswas,
we insist on proper attire for dinner
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_Q5HWeNdPMY/UUeymVcgvnI/AAAAAAAAG4Q/mnf1hlXsEw4/s640/Knize-Full%2BEvening%2Bdress.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 07:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Wally can bowl an egg and dirty up 34 pieces of kitchen equipment.

Was he inspired by The Big Lebowski ?

http://seriouslyforreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/big-lebowski-1998-16-g.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:09 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
we insist on proper attire for dinner.....

That looks very much like my Michaelmas attire. You 've just reminded me to get it dry cleaned, as I left a small deposit on it about three months ago.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:16 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Oh, I don't think......wait......what?!

OH!

I've been such a FOOL!

Sorry but someone had to break it to you.

And I'm just the person.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:18 am
The two of us usually eat in the kitchen on the table.
I like to put everything on the plate ... but salad goes in an extra bowl.

When we've guests, all is served properly in bowls, on extra plates ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Sunday Roasts

it must be close to 40 years since I saw a Sunday Roast or even thought about such a thing

I remember when I was small that mrs hamburger used to do a full Sunday roast dinner. The best part was always the mashed potatoes and gravy.
Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:27 am
@ehBeth,
We will often times due a roast chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes on Sunday - rarely do we do a roast (as in meat). Although on certain holidays we may do a prime rib.

But again we dish it from the kitchen onto the dishes and bring them to the table.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
I would say two out of four is a roast. Sunday is very much a family thing with my lot, and we tend to do the rounds as to where we all scoff.

Quite a healthy roast though, rapeseed oil roasties (higher unsaturate than olive but higher sizzle temp) and the meat is usually a chicken or a pork joint.
Veggies.....roasts.... Maris Piper spuds, parsnips, carrots.....

Sauteed....... leek, garlic, mushrooms, shredded cabbage..all together in one big b'stard wok jobby.

Boiled....sprouts, peas, green beans..whatever's in season, really.

Yorkshire pud optional. Gravy a must.

Costco big bugger fruit pie and vanilla custard for puddy wudd.

Coffee.....then walk the dogs in the rain, mud, fog, snow, hail or gale, depending on the season.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I always put rice and spaghetti and other pastas into a colander to remove the last bits of water.

I hate washing the colander so I cook rice and pasta in a special pot
http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Belk?layer=0&src=8100517_07184_A_400_T10L00&layer=comp&$P_PROD$
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:00 am
Whenever I think of Sunday Roast, I think of this scene from To Kill a Mockingbird....

That boy is our guest! If he wants to eat up our tablecloth, you let him!

Words to live by.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:42 pm
@panzade,
oow that is a cool pot - I'm gonna have to find me one.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 01:39 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
I hate washing the colander so I cook rice and pasta in a special pot
Looks like it has a a colander for a lid. So I assume that you then have to wash the colander lid no?
saab

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 01:52 pm
@panzade,
Why is it difficult to wash a colander? It is so much easier than mostly dirty pots and pans.
I just put all pots and pans and colanders or whatever in a the dishwasher.
panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:11 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Looks like it has a a colander for a lid. So I assume that you then have to wash the colander lid no?

Have to wash the lid anyway/or not?
I'm always looking for the easy way.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:12 pm
@saab,
I don't use a dishwasher....and I find washing a colander aggravating.
Such is life.
panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 03:14 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
oow that is a cool pot

Someone gave it to me for a Christmas present; love it
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 05:10 pm
You guys do all that? We just get the pizza from the delivery guy, open the box and set it on the cofee table between the beer bottles.
Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:40 pm
I get the colander washing thing - I have a tacky plastic one and a fancy one from way back then. Always remember first night in Rome when we were 36 hour tired..
the people next to us had a pile of steaming spaghetti delivered fast, a dish of soft butter, and a dish of (was it parmigiano or peccorino - I think parmigiano). They mixed the whole thing up.. and dived in. Middle aged well clothed couple.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
did they bother washing the colander? with allthat butter and cheee Id just lick the bowl clean like a houn dog
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
No colander at the restaurant table, natch, just a bowl with obvious warmth and a couple who worked together to add the butter and cheese. It struck me as an amazing amount of both. Of course I was sort of asleep, but the visual remains.

I don't remember what we ate. I was transfixed by theirs. That was at the bottom of the hill at the aventine, near the FAO and downhill of our one star fodor's place with garden, picked by me re cheap and garden. Regarded better now. But the hill is actually a hill, so a short tramp up.

Later I would learn to speak up in poor italian, but that evening I was in travel stupor.
0 Replies