"THE ORIGIN OF RELIGION...A...DARWINIAN VIEW"

rydinearth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:01 pm
Just a thought. Human beings are the only species to have invented religion. (as far as we know.) We are also the only species intelligent enough to anticipate our own inevitable eventual demise. And, like all animals, we are wired to do whatever is necessary to keep ourselves alive. Perhaps this extends even to the ANTICIPATION of death. Perhaps religion is an evolutionary mechanism developed to protect ourselves from the uniquely human realization of our own mortality. Religion offers us the ability to convince ourselves that our own lives will continue forever in some form or another.
Kara

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:31 pm
@rydinearth,
rydinearth, I have had that thought before. Religion is protective of us in that we are kept from facing the stark reality that we only go around once and that "we are as flies to the gods/they kill us for their sport." Faith in an afterlife is denial of a feared reality that some of us, as you say, aren't quite capable of living with day to day. I am not a person of religious faith but I am as susceptible as anyone to denial. It is a survival mechanism....some would define it as hope.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
HOPE...is hope essential to the life of Man?
blatham

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:10 am
@Mapleleaf,
Quote:
HOPE...is hope essential to the life of Man?

Jesus! I hope not.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 06:45 pm
If hope is assuming that the sun will come up tomorrow because it always has, then maybe it is essential. If hope is envisioning an afterlife that will rectify earthly wrongs, then it may be essential for some people but not for "life on earth."
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:25 am
"Dr. David Sloan Wilson in a conversation with NYT's Natalie Angier "...proposes that religion ? with all its institutional, emotional and prescriptive trappings ? ranks as a kind of mega-adaptation: a trait that evolved because it conferred advantages on those who bore it."

As for creating religion to elevate one's status in life. Some christians may do that. There is a story in the KJ bible about a man, a publican I believe, who entered the temple and asked God for mercy because he was a sinner. The temple priests looked down on the man thinking they were better and saying thank goodness they were not a sinner like him.
So if they were not sinners then I guess they were perfect. The bible's all about how men are not perfect, they are not God, and if they require forgiveness so they should have compassion and forgiveness on others for having the same fault (being a sinner).
Jesus says the sinner came away justified rather than the temple priests perhaps because the sinner saw himself for who he was. Humility in christianity is a good thing. If anything the bible destoys the concept of man's own goodness and self righteousness.

..."Dr. Wilson argues that the religious impulse evolved early in hominid history because it helped make groups of humans comparatively more cohesive, more cooperative and more fraternal, and thus able to present a formidable front against bands of less organized or unified adversaries."

Dupre replied :"Sometimes nationalism functions like a religion, with a whole country blaming a common enemy, thereby bringing the country together."

I have to ask whether it may be that sometimes religion functions like nationalism. This principle doesn't necessarily apply just to religion. Take for example, street gangs and the KKK. People will band together against a preceived adversary. I would say that it may be true for some religious groups although I feel unity in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"To keep the community cohesive something has to play the role of the tension-maker, that is, someone has to be blamed and punished for causing the tension. When the community can all agree on who is to blame, then that person actually brings the community together. That person is usually either killed or symbolically killed, and then usually rises again from the dead, having borne the punishment for our sins. The sacrificial lamb is hailed as a peace-maker and is elevated to a godlike status."

Interesting about Christ hanging on the cross because people needed someone to blame. I don't think Christanity is about blaming others. After all if we are all sinners who can judge? The bible says not to judge.
If indeed life is all about survival of the fittest then why do we have consciences? What would we need a conscience for? Why have feelings and compassion for the weak? Maybe we all have weaknesses? Maybe Jesus' death brings to light the ugliness of self righteousness.

Evolution may explain to some extent the "how" what it doesn't explain is the "why".
Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 06:04 pm
auroreII, this is my first reading of your posting. Have we interacted before?
auroreII

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:18 pm
@Mapleleaf,
Don't think so.
Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:30 am
@auroreII,
auroreII,

Your posting cast a calming effect on my person. Not so much because I readily agree, but, I suspect, as the Quaker's would say, "You are a centered individual."

I am 69 and a seeker of sorts. I label myself an Unitarian-Universalist. As such, I find direction and peace among the various religions and voices of the world.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:46 am
@auroreII,
auroell, Great read! I've always (most of my adult life) believed religions were created to control the masses. Even the adherents of religion are guilty of sin, so what's the benefit? Hasn't history repeated itself of religions' inhumanity to man forever? It didn't matter which religion/culture/or tribe. And yet, the pull of religion for humans remain as strong as ever. The religious extremists should be a clue about the harmful effects, but as you said, most are in denial. They are able to fool their brain into thinking "it's the only way."

Amazing!
0 Replies