Russia opposes independent investigation of UN's scandal.

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4759938/
Russia against independent UN Oil for Food investigation.

an excerpt--

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:18 p.m. ET April 16, 2004
Russia said Friday it strongly opposes a U.N. resolution endorsing an investigation of the U.N. oil-for-food program which diplomats say former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker is insisting on before agreeing to chair the inquiry.

Russia's Deputy Ambassador Gennady Gatilov said a letter from the Security Council to Secretary-General Kofi Annan on March 31 pledging cooperation with the inquiry into allegations of corruption and urging all countries to do likewise was sufficient for the panel to start work.

"We don't mind for the secretary-general to appoint the commission, but we don't see the need to support his decision in the form of a resolution," Gatilov told The Associated Press.

Russian companies will undoubtedly come under scrutiny in any oil-for-food investigation because they were major buyers of Iraqi oil and major suppliers of humanitarian goods to the program. It allowed the former Iraqi regime to sell unlimited quantities of oil provided the money went primarily to buy humanitarian goods and pay reparations to victims of the 1991 Gulf War.

Gatilov said Russia doesn't want "to look backwards into the history, and to stir up the old issue of the humanitarian program, which is closed." He also said creating the panel isn't "strictly speaking the issue of the Security Council" because it doesn't relate to maintaining international peace and security.
---------

Opinions? Does it appear Russia wants to hide dirty laundry?
What legitimate reasons could they have for their opposition to an independent review?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 647 • Replies: 6
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:21 pm
Yep, they do appear to have something to hide.

Legitimate reason: Well, they may simply wish to avoid being subject to a political witch hunt, but I suspect it's unavoidable anyway. I expect we will have an incredibly difficult time filtering the truth through the opposing hyper-partisan conclusions regardless... but we may as well try to get an impartial investigation done anyway.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:26 pm
I'm wondering if the French/German/Russian 'high road' during our request for back up with the war on Iraq will be shown for something a little less virtuous at the end of the investigation.

Also wonder if Kofi's fingers got a little sticky...

If the worst is proven--and they all profitted--will the guilty nations have to pay up? Will the UN be assessed a penalty?

Can this have long-range consequences for the UN?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:30 pm
so there I was in San Franciso having breakfast and the waitress tells me she's from Russia, so I ask her "you got anything to hide?" and she turns to me and says "everybody got something to hide 'cept for me and my monkey"
I left her a nice tip anyway.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:35 pm
Sophia: we had a rather interesting conversation about this here, before it got side-tracked (thought I found the side-track interesting as well).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:40 pm
Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:25 pm
Strongly oppose vs not wanting to support it with a resolution are very different cases.
0 Replies