Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:04 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,974 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
It's all down to the large faction of invisible people going around torching things with cans of hairspray and Zippos.
Happens all the time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
I'm just an unromantic skeptic, but I'd check out the local teenagers. I suspect a pyromaniac poltergeist whom NOBODY understands--or a pair or a trio of the misunderstood.

Of course, this is Mt. Etna country and Hades could be speaking from the underworld.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:44 am
I think Noddy is close to the truth. Sicily is basically one large volcanic island (like the Hawaiian chain) I would hypothesize that combustible gasses are leaking in the area, periodically igniting and causing small fires.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:47 am
Beats me, but this cracks me up:

Quote:
From the start, Gabriele Amorth, one of the Catholic Church's exorcists, suspected the devil was at work.

"I've seen things like this before," he told the daily Il Messaggero. "Demons occupy a house and appear in electrical goods."

That would explain my last computer, I think. And that green spot on the television.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:55 am
Hey, c'mon man, that guy is speaking like one of the leading thinkers of the ninth century!! Maybe even the 13th century!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm
I cannot discount satanic activity but, absent any definitive evidence, Ill venture a guess based upon acquiunks view. The eastern massifs of Sicily connect the underground to Mt Etna by major NE-SW running shallow faults. East of these massifs are a series of carbonate reefs and Eocene seds that are gas and oil fields
. Id venture another guess that sulfurous gases from the volcano are forming Carbon disulfide from methanogenesis (bug poop). carbon disulfide , forming naturally is not stinky, in fact its rather sweet smelling. Since we use this stuff to make rayon and rubber l we add some more of the Thio (mercaptan)( compounds that make it smell like H2S (rotten eggs). So, This self igniting real estate problem may be a forewarning of an eruption by overpressured gases being forced upward and collecting in houses. the people wouldnt notice it, in fact theyd like the smell and, since CS2 is heavier than air, it collects in traps and basements and is highly, HIGHLY explosive.
Now, Im just pulling this from my ass, having worked at the Trecate oil fields on mainland italy, we often had sulfurous gases(sour gas , more H2S reall) that needed scrubbing . And ETna is not a quiet eruptive volcano like in Hawaii it builds up one head of steam , and then blows. Im sure a bunch of geoscientists are over there checking this possibility very carefully. If theyre not saying, its because they dont want to alarm anyone
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:22 pm
Blimey.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
Now, if this involved spontaneous combustion of people, I might agree, but simple constructions? Nah, that's just nature misunderstood. Why does this remind me of the story posted here regarding the investigation in Hungary about villagers digging up and killing a vampire?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
Odd - I dreamed of bats last night...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:43 pm
What kind of bats, wabbit? Fruit bats and fox bats are quite friendly. Was it a SINISTER bat???
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:06 am
Some were quite large and some quite small.

As far as I could see, none was left-winged....
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:49 am
Alright, ya caught me. It was me. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:40 am
Yer just a mouse.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:45 am
Very Happy

You just think I'm a mouse.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:49 am
Yer damn picture's beside yer damn post!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:50 am
Yer a rodent, all right.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:05 am
Turner ain't German, but possibly vermin...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:14 am
And if I put a picture up there of a fox, would that scare you little bunny?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 05:15 am
Nope.
0 Replies