Problem with highlights - pls help

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:31 am
My stylist usually does what I think is a great job with my hair. My routine is to get my shoulder length hair trimmed every 4 weeks, and I get color applied to the roots at every appointment, and highlights (foils) every 8 weeks (every other appointment). At my last appointment a few days ago, I've noticed that around my hairline at my temples, there are very obvious lines where the foils were. It isn't hugely noticeable unless my hair is swept back, but it looks really stupid! Does anyone have any thoughts about what might have gone wrong? (BTW he is a very highly regarded and highly compensated stylist -- it was $500 for the cut, color and highlights.) I'm kind of surprised he didn't see it when he was blowing my hair out -- don't know how he could have missed it. I am planning to call him next week to see what he offers to do to fix it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,672 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed

Rockhead

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:38 am
@cinnamon girl,
you spend $5k a year on your hair?

wow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:42 am
And now for a short musical interlude . . .

0 Replies

Ragman

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 12:03 pm
@cinnamon girl,
$500 for such hair treatment is a massive overcharge unless you are Hollywood movie star or are making upwards of $500k per year.

Also, why does your common sense come to bear here? You should not see a line where the places where the dye and the tin foil were. That is an amateurish mistake on his/her part.

I've been advised by my g/f (who spends money on appearance essential as she is in the public eye) and she advised that more than $200-$250 plus tip would be quite excessive.

Typical expense might be more like $150-$175 depedning on the area in which you live.
cinnamon girl

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 01:12 pm
@Ragman,
I'm in Washington DC, and this is a very expensive area. Not a movie star or even a politician, though, lol. At my previous salon, which was pretty typical of average DC prices, the same services would have totaled approximately $360 before tip. (I don't tip the $500 stylist because he's the shop owner and I feel like $500 is PLENTY although I have seen other patrons tip him.) My hair has never looked better or been healthier, so I've continued to go back despite some lingering guilt over what I'm spending on my hair and whether he is really worth that much. Still, I might well be shopping for a new stylist. That will depend upon what happens when I follow up with the stylist next week (sigh). I would agree that the mistake seems amateurish.
Ragman

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 01:51 pm
@cinnamon girl,
Just out of curiosity, did you know the lines were showing before you left the salon?

I'm familiar enough with styling prices around DC and immediate suburbs for example, Tyson's Corner in No. Virginia is one of the highest on the east coast.
However, I believe that not only can you do better for price (around $250-$300), you can find a stylist that keeps you from looking like you had been worked on by a student.

My niece lives in No. Springfield VA and has a firm grasp of what prices are currently. I'll ask her what she pays for same services. She is style conscious knows value, and is seen in a public exposure sort of job.
cinnamon girl

Mon 2 Dec, 2013 12:19 pm
@Ragman,
If I had seen it before I left the salon, I would have mentioned it right away. It isn't visible unless my hair is pushed back from the sides of my face. But I don't see how he could have missed it when he was drying my hair.

I know that the end result is wrong, just not sure what he did wrong in the execution. Is there some blending technique that is usually done? I know as the highlighting is done, he uses the end of a rat tailed comb to weave in and out of the layers. My guess would be that maybe he got distracted and this didn't happen in a few places, but I don't know.

Anyway, I will call him tomorrow when the shop is open and see what he has to say for himself. Ugh.
Ragman

Mon 2 Dec, 2013 12:51 pm
@cinnamon girl,
I spoke directly (not email) with my niece whose lived in No. VA all of her life. she's indicated plainly that you're paying way too much for these hair treatments. She said that even in Wash DC area (higher cost of living) for an upscale salon $250 is the top edge of out-of-line cost and $500 is obscene overcharging.

I know that it's not what you want to hear, but that is the facts as reported. the fact that it was done with that mistake just adds insult to injury.
0 Replies