Does God understand when you are angry with Him?

Camille

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
I know that we all experience trials and tribulations, but when you keep getting beat up and those you love keep getting beat up, and just tragedy surrounds you and those you love, does God understand that you are angry with Him?

How can one reconcile with God when so much anger exists?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
I would have to consult Job on that one, Camille.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I would have to consult Job on that one, Camille.
But didn't Job keep accepting all the tragedy that was sent his way as God's will?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:23 pm
Sure he did. At the same time, he took responsibility and kept his faith. It's not an exact example, but it does show that god wants to see us pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps to overcome adversity. If it's true, we are made in god's image, and god, if god exists, wants to see us rise above tragedy, learn to use it as a path to strength, and become 'one' with ourselves. Think about this: The Judeo-Christian god of which we speak was apparently born into a world of multiple gods, and fought tooth and nail to convince a small band of Israelites that there was only one god above all others. Monotheism was born, by the toiling of an obscure, lesser deity. I suspect he/she would expect nothing less from us, for better or worse.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:25 pm
But even Jesus asked God why he had forsaken him.

Does God understand where the anger is coming from? Does He use it in some way to help those that are greiving?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:32 pm
I would assume that god understands our anger, but just like raising a spoiled child, there comes a time when the umbilical cord must be cut. As for grief and grieving, that is what family and friends are there for.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:34 am
cavfancier wrote:
I would assume that god understands our anger, but just like raising a spoiled child, there comes a time when the umbilical cord must be cut. As for grief and grieving, that is what family and friends are there for.

I suppose that explains it. I've been cut off by God.

Most of my family is gone and local friends are few and far between.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
I'm pretty sure God doesn't "cut people off" from him. Sincerely turn to him for comfort, and you should have it. God knows everything about what's in our hearts and understands us far better than we understand ourselves. Just try never to give up hope and faith (I know this is easier said than done).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
I'm sorry, Camille, I thought this was a simple debate. You sound really down. If you want to talk about it on a more secular level, we are all here for you. :wink:
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I'm sorry, Camille, I thought this was a simple debate. You sound really down. If you want to talk about it on a more secular level, we are all here for you. :wink:

Maybe I should have this in a different area of the board? I would like to discuss it on a more secular level.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm
I'll let you in on a little secret, because I'm just bursting at the seams here.

God, like the Tooth Fairy, doesn't exist, and therefore, whether or not he understands you is a question without meaning.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:01 pm
Re: Does God understand when you are angry with Him?
Camille wrote:
I know that we all experience trials and tribulations, but when you keep getting beat up and those you love keep getting beat up, and just tragedy surrounds you and those you love, does God understand that you are angry with Him?

How can one reconcile with God when so much anger exists?

Yes, Camille.....God knows when you are angry with Him. But He loves you anyway.

Many of the psalms of David begin as a prayer to God...expressing the fear and anger he was feeling.

How do you reconcile with God when so much anger exists? I think there's really only one true way that you can. You have to reach your hands up to His and place all of your anger in His hands. Tell Him that He knows you can't deal with it anymore so you are giving it to Him.

Let go and Let God

You are in my prayers.

~Brooke
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:25 pm
Camille, the Christian God is not supposed to cut anyone off, except possibly for blasphemy. Of course you can cut yourself off from him if you are mad enough to reject him.

I've never heard a good explanation of why God sends/allows so much pain and suffering to some of his faithful followers. Or why he only answers selected prayers.

But if you are not happy with the level of service your current deity offers, you might consider switching to another religious provider who would be more responsive to your needs. Perhaps your life would improve if you dedicated yourself to Allah, Krishna, Buddha, or any of the hundreds of other gods and goddesses available for worship. :wink:

Or you could accept the fact that God has nothing to do with what happens in your life. Some people are always going to have worse luck and more problems than others. If you cannot cope, I would suggest that you get real help (see your phone book for social service agencies) instead of expecting God to make everything right.

If you want to make friends, volunteer to help at a hospital or nursing home, join a club that interests you, teach a class, get involved with a civic project, or find a friendly church where you will be welcomed warmly into the fold - even if it is a different denomination.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
truth
This question could (should) be asked within a non-theist framework. It would thus be realistic. I like, within that framework, Nietzsche's admonition: Amor fati. Love your destiny, because, as I interpret him, it is all there is. It is insane to do otherwise. In the Christian context we have something similar from the Lord's Prayer....thy will be done.[not just mine]...
I have stated a number of times here that if you want to make God laugh tell Him your plans.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:03 pm
In teh middle ages, it was not uncommon for parishoners to "punish" the relics of saints who had failed to protect the community from diseases or famines, or other events. In a solemn ceremony the relics would be exposed by the priest, and ceremonially whipped or burned in ofer to coerce the saint, through what was thought to be physical pain caused by mistreatement of his or her earthly remains, into doing the will of his patrons. So according to these people at that time, yes, god could know you were angry with him. Similar punishments were meted out on the host and on crucifixes.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:08 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
This question could (should) be asked within a non-theist framework. It would thus be realistic. I like, within that framework, Nietzsche's admonition: Amor fati. Love your destiny, because, as I interpret him, it is all there is. It is insane to do otherwise. In the Christian context we have something similar from the Lord's Prayer....thy will be done.[not just mine]...
I have stated a number of times here that if you want to make God laugh tell Him your plans.

So the answer is pretty much "let it be"?
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:00 pm
Re: Does God understand when you are angry with Him?
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
How do you reconcile with God when so much anger exists? I think there's really only one true way that you can. You have to reach your hands up to His and place all of your anger in His hands. Tell Him that He knows you can't deal with it anymore so you are giving it to Him.

Let go and Let God

You are in my prayers.

~Brooke

Thanks Brooke. I guess I'm just afraid to "let go and let God". In the past when I have prayed for some help or relief, whether it was for me, loved ones or friends, it was like more grief just got dumped on everybody. So after a while I was hesitant to even talk to Him.

I am talking to Him and asking him to show all of us the way, whatever it may be, but it's still hard to trust.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm
truth
Let it be? Not necessarily. Once a situation or condition has come to be, accept it AT THIS MOMENT FOR WHAT IT IS, then you can do as you wish to alter it IN THE FUTURE. But as you move to change things, accept each moment just as it is. I am not talking fatalism about the future; I talking acceptance about the past and present. The future has to do with anticipated or desired ideals/goals. The present and past have to do with reality, with the destiny you should love because it is your life. Nothing else is.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:07 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Let it be? Not necessarily. Once a situation or condition has come to be, accept it AT THIS MOMENT FOR WHAT IT IS, then you can do as you wish to alter it IN THE FUTURE. But as you move to change things, accept each moment just as it is. I am not talking fatalism about the future; I talking acceptance about the past and present. The future has to do with anticipated or desired ideals/goals. The present and past have to do with reality, with the destiny you should love because it is your life. Nothing else is.

Sort of like accepting you can't change the past and trying to understand that if we had known better how to do things in the past we would have?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:45 pm
Camille,
You seem to be still attempting to assess blame. Sometimes sh_t happens.
0 Replies