Birthday Reminder via Text?

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 03:55 am
So pretty much I've gotten text messages from certain people via Facebook when it's their birthday reminding me about it. The exact text message reads "Celebrate with (person's name here) today. Reply to write on his/her timeline." However, this doesn't happen with all my Facebook friends when it's their birthday. In fact, it's only happened with a few people over the last several months.

My question is what is causing this to happen? I would assume it's a setting that the person has setup on Facebook to remind their friends who have their accounts linked to their mobile devices of when it's their birthday, but I checked in Facebook settings and can't seem to find anything. Just for clarification: I'm not following the people that I have gotten these text messages from on Facebook, I have checked and confirmed that. I say this because there was someone who thought that was the reason this is happening when I was trying to figure this out by searching online before I posted this here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,089 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:09 am
@bob59694,
They're not Nigerian members, are they? Because some of them have six or seven birthdays a year, which costs me a fortune in presents.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:29 am
@bob59694,
I found privacy settings for my birthday.

1. From your home page
2. Click Edit Profile.
3. Find "Basic Information"
4. Click Edit
5. See the little privacy icons to the right of your birthday
6. Click on the icon. You can set this to "private".

I think this will turn off the birthday notifications to your friends. I am privacy conscious, but I don't remember turning this off. I don't think most people are aware of their privacy settings.

You also can easily turn off getting these notifications

1. Facebook app.
2. Button with three bars at top left.
3. Account.
4. Account Settings.
5. Notifications.
6. Mobile Push.
7. Uncheck Birthday Reminder.
bob59694

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:53 am
@maxdancona,
Yes I'm aware of the privacy setting for your birthday that you described (Sorry for not mentioning it in my original post), but I don't think that's what's causing this. As I said, this has only happened for a few of my friends in the last few months, and I assume most of my friends don't have that setting set to private because I'm pretty sure the default setting for that is "friends of friends."

Also I know I could turn off mobile notifications to my phone and not get these, but I'm not really annoyed about getting them. I made this thread more out of curiosity about what these few people have done to make it so a notification is sent to their Facebook friends' phones (If they have them linked of course) when it's their birthday.

One of my theories is that these people have synced their Facebook friends with their contacts on their phones through the Facebook app because I don't think most people do this, but I'm not 100% sure on it.
0 Replies