Technology is a tool, not a teacher (or is it?)

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 09:27 am
Agree or disagree?

I've been following the Los Angeles fiasco of putting an iPad in every school kid's hands and read a the comment "technology is a tool, not a teacher" in one of the discussions.

I found myself nodding in agreement. We should be investing all this technology money into teachers, I said.

Then I remembered this TED talk I'd seen a while ago:

I found myself nodding in agreement. We should be investing all this teacher money into technology, I said.

Which do you agree with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,752 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Abishai100

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:14 pm
@boomerang,
I think one consideration that arises in this discussion regards if whether the Internet is replacing libraries. Today, students can access information instantly on the World Wide Web and hence feel less compulsion to look up information and material in actual textbooks and books tediously shelved in libraries.

Wikipedia, for example, is a high-quality free peer-edited global online encyclopedia that offers rich and detailed entries on subjects as varied as the Civil War and graffiti art. Wikipedia enables students to find information more quickly and efficiently than they would at a library of books.

In my opinion, while Wikipedia is a great speed-oriented resource, it does not entirely substitute for the labor satisfaction gained from holding and reading a vintage authentic copy of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" (1818) in your curious hands.

That said, maybe there is a balance that can be struck. Technology is a teaching tool, but it should not be used so widely so as to substitute for the sensitive enrichment gained from personal contact and hands-on enrichment.
0 Replies

iqbusiness

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:27 am
@boomerang,
I agree that technology is tool.
VikramKyle

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 05:00 am
@iqbusiness,
That's a good questions.
My thinking is technology is some times added role teacher.

Technology is not a teacher////
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 05:12 am
@boomerang,
Technology is not a teacher but Technology is a tool.
timur

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 06:55 am
@selectmytutor,
However, selectmytutor is a technological tool that pretends to be a teacher..
0 Replies

Jyoti130477

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:02 am
yes, absolutely, technology is a tool not a teacher..it is the means not the end..teacher guides the path to the goal with the help of technology...technology dependence makes us handicapped but teachers makes us to be independent...
0 Replies

speedjohn

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 04:35 am
@boomerang,
I agree with it. We should look at how technology can help us achieve our dreams and goals, Technology makes you more efficient but teacher is the most important.
0 Replies