What do you serve with duck?

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 10:07 pm
@boomerang,
yes they are one and the same.
scovy for short . The butcher knew.
We do ours always hot nd fast, 10 min /pound at 475 . Since covies re less fatty they don't flqre up s redily s the LI ducks. but you still want a rck. Ive never tried the
boil em first then roast em"
my grmma used to do duck that way as I recalled (we ate a lot of duck n ducks blood soup (CHARNINA), its something I wouldn't bother learning about unless you got Hannibal Lecter over for dinner.
I wonder if you could steam it so you don't lose any flavor that boiling takes away?

I always take the wide end of a choptstick and go in and loosen the skin a bit especially around the breast . When you roast, it helps crisp the skin (which is a crackling flavor when done crispy)
DUCK SHOULD be served a bit on the medium side for real good flavor. We need to call in some of the other cooks around here. Osso, and jcboy is back-hes interested in cooking. ebeth, I don't know the others who like to cook .

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US APPRAISED. I think Im gonna do a duck or goose for Christmas now that you've started something here.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 10:23 pm
@farmerman,
I found a simple roast duck recipe in Kafkas book "ROASTING"
\1. Bring duck to room temp for about an hour
2take a stock pot f,fill with 4.5 C of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Insert the duck and let it return to a boil (prick the skin all over efore dunking)

3When it returns to a boil turn heat to low and let simmer for about 45 min

4. remove the duck and prepare a baking pan . spoon about 2T of the duck schmaltz into the roasting pan and set in the duck

5 Let the duck cool to room temp (Id cover with foil and put it on the porch where its cold.

6She does it at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. (I like my 475 for 10 min per pound)

We never do anything fancy like "star anise" (its a flavor that masks the duck IMHO). SOmetimes we use an apple or a blood orange for a glaze and then we deglaze the fond and make the gravy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 09:27 am
@farmerman,
I've only cooked duck once and that was maybe thirty years ago. I don't remember the details re type of duck (I bet LI) or if I put a rack beneath it (maybe, maybe not) but I think it wasn't a winner (no house on fire, though). So, I've been reading along.

I've tossed around wanting to cook a capon one of these days, but it's a little large for my needs - maybe a duck now that I understand how.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You're going to have to ask Butrflynet. I just ate it. I could have made two meals out of it, and all at one sitting.

Unfortunately, the computer where I wrote down how I made that bean dish has had a blue screen of death and I can't get the hard drive to boot. It will be awhile before I can get a tech here to help me with it.

I'll see if I can recreate it from memory and will post it later this evening.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ooooh, we're in luck! I remembered talking to Roger about it in PMs and checked. It hasn't scrolled off yet and I gave him a copy of the recipe in one of the PMs. Here it is:

Quote:
I just combined a bunch of recipes together and used the best of each except for all the added brown sugar. I used sweet potatoes instead to give it some texture and extra sweetness. I didn't measure anything, but here's an approximate of the recipe:

Sweet Potato and Baked Bean Casserole

1 medium can Bush's Texas Ranchero Grillin Beans (pinto beans, jalapenos and red chili sauce)
1 large can Bush's Onion Baked Beans (bacon, onion, brown sugar)
1 large can Bush's Country Style Baked Beans (bacon, brown sugar)
1/2 pound thick sliced bacon - 1 inch slices
1 medium onion - 1 inch diced
1 yellow bell pepper - 1 inch diced
1 large sweet potato - peeled and 1/2 inch diced
2 tbs. barbecue sauce
1 tbs. honey mustard
1/4 cup catsup
1 tbs. A-1 Sauce

1. Heat large skillet and cook bacon slices until crisp. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel and refrigerate until beans are ready to serve.
2. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook until tender.
3. Add all 3 cans of beans to skillet.
4. Add diced sweet potato and remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
5. Put all ingredients in a covered casserole dish and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
6. Stir in cooked bacon and serve.

I would now add to this that I drained off the liquid from the two large cans of beans and only included the liquid from the smaller can of beans with the jalapenos. This resulted in a thicker dish with some texture to it and it didn't have as much sweetness to it if I'd included the sugary liquid.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 08:45 pm
@boomerang,
I’m not particular fond of duck but they do serve some good duck tacos at Red Mesa Catena downtown.

This Thanksgiving it’s going to be a Puerto Rican thanksgiving; we’re all flying to Miami to have dinner at grandma’s house.
0 Replies

stevem13

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 03:41 am
You can have it with spiced Pomegranate sauce. Here is the recipe:
Spiced Pomegranate Sauce
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small shallot, chopped
1-3/4 cups pomegranate juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Preparation:
Combine the allspice, cinnamon, coriander, ground ginger, cayenne, salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a small bowl.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and sauté for about 2 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Add the spice mixture and combine well.

Add the pomegranate juice, orange juice, honey, lemon juice and zest. Simmer gently, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Increase the heat on the sauce to medium-high and bring it to a boil. Add the cornstarch-water mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1-1/2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish.

Makes about 1-3/4 cups

Source: http://www.mygourmetconnection.com
0 Replies