The best approach when one attacks you and your beliefs?

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:56 pm
This happens all the time, both in families and in the outside world. So...be it home, work, or plain strangers, how would faith and personal feelings combine in a nice symbiotic relationship when someone offends them? This thread is for stories about rant times, home or family, when you feel the "irk" running through your veins....please post examples and how you dealt with them, and whether or not it gave you satisfaction. Oh, and forgive my sig lign if you are sensitive. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 987 • Replies: 6
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 04:17 pm
It really depends on who is challenging my beliefs and what their attitude is. In most cases, I can easily agree to disagree. I'm not out to change anyone's mind or the world. By nature, I am an open minded person and have been known to change my views about any number of subjects wildly. (See my sig line).

If the person challenging me is a relative from my side of the family, I will engage in a fun, lively (bordering on angry) debate. I will stand my ground firmly and only back off when threatened by having my name taken out of the will.

If I am challenged by my husbands family (which occurs frequently) I politely but firmly stand my ground and in a nice way tell them to kiss my ass. (This is where alcohol is a tremendous help).

On Internet Bulletin Boards, I will hold my ground always remembering to be polite. I will never bait or flame on a message board. Recently, on another bulletin board, a thread about Terri Schiavo was started by people who were adamant about her feeding tube not being removed. At first, I completely agreed with them. But, over time, posters who supported the removal of Terri's feeding tube made strong and compelling arguments to support thier opinion. After almost two months, my mind was completely changed.

IMO, it's dangerous to have a mind so closed that you are either unwilling or unable to see the other persons point of view.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:09 am
I would agree with you, doglover, but I've always been pretty good at diplomacy.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:17 am
When attacked, just walk away...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:46 am
It really depends on the person and situation. For example there is some one I work with that many times I have discussed beliefs - one of us being Jewish, the other Christian. The good thing is it is done in a respectful way.

A more difficult situation is the in-law situation. My husband and even more so a good portion of his family have extremely conservative Christian views. I am more open minded and liberal in my Christian views. I usually just brush it off as it is not worth causing a strife in the family by stating my viewpoint. Also, his family lives a good distance away so when we see them it is only for a set number of days. It makes it much easier. They also are not necessarily shoveling it down your throat. My husband and I have had disagreements on our viewpoints, but lucky for him I am open minded and let him know I respect his opinion, but here is mine. The ironic thing is my husband's family has had several divorces (including his parents), children out of wedlock or had to get married situations, etc., while my more liberal family has had a stable home life (mom and dad not divorced), no other divorces, stable families (cross our fingers at least so far).

This is a great forum, because it does allow a safe environment to discuss this different attitudes and yes sometimes argue them whereas you may not have as safe environment outside.

Doglover makes some great points on being open minded.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:58 am
I usually let them go on until they insist that I can only believe one way...theirs. That's when I tell them that I have my beliefs and that no matter how we practice our spiritual beliefs, we are dealing with one Creator. This Creator in my belief is not vengeful nor does he demand that we make penence for our mistakes. He doesn't ask me to convert others, so why would I listen to those that try to convert me?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:28 am
It usually doesn't bother me in the least. After all I am a member in A2K Smile

If a person is open to discussing concepts, possibilities, or whatever, I enjoy the discussion. If the other person begins to get angry or verbally abusive, I also will change the subject or remove myself from the situation.
0 Replies