Intelegent beings learn from each other

neil

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:55 pm
I don't know how the intergalactic net got started, but it uses the part of the radio spectrum between micro waves and infra red light. Each packet of slow speed data is about 67 minutes long. It is typically a technical paper written in the language of the author. Before the main text is a math lesson and a language lesson to help recipients translate the tech paper to their own language.
Typical net partners receive these packets 24/7 from 3 different directions from sentient outposts up to about 144 light years away. They transmit packets to the same three net partners 24/7 Mostly they relay packets they don't think their net partner has received lately. An estimated 517 billion unique packets are in the system, perhaps 755 billion duplicates, with about that number enroute at any given instant. (most with lots of minor errors) (it takes 144 years for a packet to travel 144 light years) About one millionth of the packets received are packets that were first sent millions of years ago, so these contain valuable historical data even if the technology in the paper is of little interest. Occasionally a net partner gets back something they sent out long ago after being relayed many times. If they still have the original it is interesting to note the effect of being relayed thousands of times.
The program is moderately costly, and only an occasional gem is received, but most agree this is best as it avoids cultural shock = technology and customs changing at an excessive rate. How might the galactic net be done differently? Neil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 10
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
I can't comment on the body of your post but your topic headline was a hoot!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
Assuming there even *is* anyone out there to talk to, communication using light speed limited methods (which is all that we know of right now) probably won't be very beneficial due to the latency between reception and reply.

For example, it might take millions of years for someone to tell you that you made a spelling error which changes the core content of the message to something oxymoronic. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:33 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . . Ros, you are so sly . . .

Off our meds are we, Neil?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:36 am
Re: Intelegent beings learn from each other
neil wrote:
The program is moderately costly...

It used to be a lot cheaper but Duracell raised the price on intergalactic flashlight batteries.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:31 am
What scifi book did you lift this one from?

Ophichi (spelling?) Hotline by John Varley
Macroscope by Piers Anthony (?)
or what...

Doesn't have to be expensive. A binary code of chunks of matter fired at a rotating black hole...
0 Replies

neil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
One expert claimed the Aricibo radio telescope could listen to a cell phone conversation on a moon of Jupiter. Figure one watt ERP = effective radiated power at 400 million kilometers, so one million watts for a distance of 400 billion kilometers; ten billion watts ERP for 40 trillion kilometers which is 4 light years. With a really big transmitting dish, the electricity only costs about one dollar per minute. Perhaps only a dime a minute using a higher frequency than cellphones use. 40 light years is $10 dollars per minute = moderately costly. Neil
0 Replies

neil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
Hi rosborne: Smarter civilizations make anonymous corrections to the text if they are that sure of themselves, otherwise they humbly suggest possible improvements to the text. I agree the net is more valuable where sentient outposts average a few light years apart, but valuable info that is millions of years old will occasionally be received. Sometimes it is not so much the info as it is the triggering of an inspiration. Neil
0 Replies

neil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:52 pm
Hi sealpoet: I'm not aware of it coming from any group of sources, but I'm sure it came in bits and peices. Truly original thoughts are rare. Neil
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:24 pm
neil wrote:
Sometimes it is not so much the info as it is the triggering of an inspiration.

I love this quote Neil. Well said, very well said.

And I applaud the creativity in your original post. I wondered if you phrased it that way to elicit responces (I seem to remember a similar post from you on Abuzz which received little attention, probably due to the "standard" presentation), though I doubt you intended the spelling error in the title, unless you are being very very sly. Smile

Like SealPoet however, your premise reminds me of various sci-fi stories I've read. What authors have you been reading?
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
I've read Analog Science Fiction and Fact for about 40 years. Neil
0 Replies