Small business ins question

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:51 pm
I work for an electrical contracting company that is a union based company. I am not one of the union employees, so do not receive any of the union benefits. My girlfriend also works for the same company and is non union also. She receives healthcare benefits paid for by the company. she also works in the administrative department. I do not work in that department, and am not eligible to receive any healthcare plans paid partly or wholly by the employer. I am curious to know if they can pick and choose who will receive healthcare coverage benefits. I put in 40 hour workweeks just like everyone else in the company. The company has less than 50 employees.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 666 • Replies: 2
No top replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 02:13 pm
@suprdewey,
That is a good question! Employers are not allowed to pick and choose who to offer insurance to and must give all full-time workers a chance to enroll. Have you asked your manager or HR person why you don't have it? It could be that you missed signing up during open enrollment or if you just started you are not yet eligible? Are you considered contract labor and not an "official" employee? Those are my top thoughts.
Miller

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 02:31 pm
@InsuranceLady,
If you work for an electric contracting company, that company pays you a sum base on a contract between the electric contracting company and the company receiving the benefits of the contract ( i.e . the work performed/or will be performed).

If you don't receive healthcare benefits, could it be because the contracts under which you work/or will work don't specify that healthcare insurance must be provided?

If there are 50 workers in your company, how many of these workers actually do the electrical work? This number could be critical to answering your question.
0 Replies