cover songs

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
'Crossroads" by Powerhouse-Originally Robert Johnson

Powerhouse was a group assembled for session work that included Clapton and Stevie Winwood. This is a rare recording;only saw it on one L.P., the soundtrack to the movie "You're A Big Boy Now"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
Diane! Can't you keep him out of the Roofies???
0 Replies

magnum

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:42 am
joe cockers with a little help from my friends
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
The English Beat's version of Tears of a Clown

The English Beat's version of Can't Get Used to Losing You
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:16 pm
Dwight Yokam doing the Clash's "Train in Vain."

Ramones version of "California Sun."

Violent Femmes doing "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?"
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:01 pm
a few off the top of my head:

Dylan's, All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix

Steve Winwood's, Talking Back to the Night - Joe Cocker

Springsteen's Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

Prince's, I Feel For You - Chaka Khan

NIN's, Hurt - Johnny Cash

Leonard Cohen's, Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright

Talking Heads' Slippery People - Staples Singers

Springsteen's, Fire - Pointer Sisters
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:06 am
"Wooden Ships" by Jefferson Airplane. Crosby, Still & Nash original was nice, as well.

"Baby It's You" by Smith. One hit wonders. But the version is better than the Shirelles', (who were great anyway).

"Dedicated To The One I Love" by The Mamas and the Papas. Also better than the Shirelles'.

"You Keep Me Hangin' On" by The Vanilla Fudge. Better than the Supremes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:10 am
Keltic, I'm wondering if the Airplane did the original "Wooden Ships"? I know David Crosby wrote "Triad" together with Kantner and Slick and both bands did it.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:22 am
Panzade, my man! You still up, huh? Good to see ya!

There is this guy here in Germany that calls himself Dick Brave, and his band the backbeats, they do an awesome rockabilly version of -now sit still- George Michaels song- Freedom! Super!

My favorite will be Bob Dylan's "Mighty Quinn", done by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:25 am
Kewl choice my man BD. MM did some great covers. I'm up early getting ready to travel up the Fla Turnpike to Gainesville
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:44 pm
panzade wrote:
Keltic, I'm wondering if the Airplane did the original "Wooden Ships"? I know David Crosby wrote "Triad" together with Kantner and Slick and both bands did it.

Did a search and found out the three authors listed are Crosby, Stills-and Kantner.

If I wanted to be persnickety and say that songwriters are listed like ingredients on the box at the supermarket-the greatest percentage first-then Crosby and Stills wrote more than 67% of the song.

But of course, that's stupid. Laughing

Well, I guess I learned something today. I always assumed that Crosby, Stills and Nash wrote it because their album came out first-I think over a year earlier. Now I know they co-wrote it with the Airplane.

Thanks for the info, Panzade. I appreciate the heads up.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
Thanks for being so cool about my query Keltic. I'm not really anal about music facts...well...OK...I sorta am. I've always been fascinated by the process of song writing and the weird facts about the people who write them.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:12 am
Nazareth with "Love Hurts"
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
I love Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. Also, Muse's version of 'Can't take my eyes off you' and Oasis' of the Beatles' 'You've got to hide your love away' impressed me. But I don't like many covers.

O, and Ryan Adams' version of 'Wonderwall' is better than Oasis', I think. 'Wonderwall' was the one Oasis hit that I didn't particularly like, but Ryan nails it.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:42 am
While I'm thinking of it, Nirvana did two great cover versions: one of the Vaselines' 'Jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam,' and the other of Leadbelly's 'Where did you sleep last night?' which was haunting.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:47 am
Muddy Waters did a cover of the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together". Killer.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:13 pm
WOW! Didn't know that!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:16 pm
One of my faves is Mose Alison, a jazz pianist from Mississippi. Scads of his songs were covered by British rock bands. TRIVIA QUIZ! Can anybody name them? And the cover band? First prize is a membership to my Triv-Wiz club.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:38 pm
Glad to see it wasn't mentioned yet...Aretha Franklin's cover of The Band's 'The Weight' kicks ass all over the original.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:41 pm
Yeah Cav, also her rendition of Bacharachs' " I say a Little Prayer For You" makes Dionne sound like a jingle singer. And didn't she make Carole Kings "Natural Woman" funkified?
0 Replies