what do computer games bring to the youngsters?

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:41 am
Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:57 am
I went for 'neutral' because some games are educational and/or positive, and others not so good for children, due to excessive violence, language, etc.
0 Replies

fishchitter

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:03 am
I chose negative.
After many friends of mine became addicted to the games, they skip the class and have a strange behaviour.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:53 am
Welcome, Fischitter - interesting name - want to tell us where you are from?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:21 am
Probably eventual poor eyesight and arthritis of the hands, and bad posture.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:24 pm
creativity, reflexes. I believe that it is possible for someone to get addicted. and in those cases, they're usually compensating for something else lacking in their live.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:41 pm
People become addicted to videogames because of the competative aspect - this is expecially true of multiplayer games and games where you can write your name in the high score.

Video game users get better eye/hand coordination and better reaction time. They can also see and recognize patterns faster than non-videogame players.

Depending very much on the game, they can be challenging and beneficial to your brain (myst, multiplayer strategy games, zelda, puzzle games (ex: tetris), war of nations, sim city, in some ways the sims, etc.) or not (baseball, wwII wrestling, etc.)

I think videogames are fine as long as they are played in moderation. If anything is interfering with your life there is a problem.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:06 pm
There are other addictive aspects. Most people who play RPGs find them at least somewhat addicting. I have to agree that overall they have a negative aspect. Nothing positive is substantial enough.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 09:08 pm
Fun is a substantially positive aspect, all on its own. Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:38 am
Fun??? Fun??!!!!!

Dammit! next thing you'll be proposing is DANCING!

heathen...
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:33 am
I feel it is neutral; it all depends on what games, at what age. I have a son who is 8 when he plays “reader rabbit” math games I feel it is good, some of the kids online games are fun, but not really “good” or “bad” if I caught him playing BMXXX I would consider it BAD.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:43 am
dlowan wrote:
Fun??? Fun??!!!!!

Dammit! next thing you'll be proposing is DANCING!

heathen...

Ha! Smile Just saw this. Well, hedonism is not without charms...Sign me up for a rousing pagan jig...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:45 pm
If video games are bad because they are addictive, then we should also consider soccer and football bad. Let's also add cleanliness, excessive work habits, chocolate and all sorts of food, sex, certain social tendencies, communication, love, happiness, and fun...

We might as well make everything illegal!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:45 pm
I forgot to add A2K to that list...
0 Replies