Differentiation - any opinions or thoughts?

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm
I am currently studying for a higher grade teaching certificate (I teach painting to adults - so anything to do with younger children isn't relevant - I teach over 16's)

I am doing an assignment on an 'issue of current importance' in adult education and this is something that fits in with my own ideas on teaching.

I'm sure you know what it is but for anyone that doesn't - it is about teaching your set syllabus but pitching and adjusting it to varying levels of ability within your class so that each is working and progressing according to their understanding and ability. Each student will be doing quite different work but always related to the main topic I am teaching.

I teach in adult ed and can have a wide variation in ability and understanding within a class and like to stretch each individual so that they feel they have really achieved something.

Any advice, opinions, experience etc would be very valuable if anyone has anything to offer,

I found some good stuff on the net, teach that way naturally, but would like some opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,533 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:06 am
This is a for "what it's worth" statement Viv since I am not a professional educator. However, I have conducted many job/union related classes and seminars.

When with a group that varies in age, sex, and ethnic background I usually start by having them introduce themselves and then I ask them to read to me parts of the training material or in you case the syllabus. I always start out by telling the students about myself. Just general stuff so that they understand that I do not want to know detailed info just a get to know each other kind of thing.

This method has always helped me to help them. And it also helps them to know each other which is an added benefit. I tell them that any person who chooses to do so may pass and then I talk to them separately and discreetly so as not to embarrass any one individual.

This method has always served me well in identifying learning curve and intuitive ability. Plus in my case it also creates a cohesive class unit. The students and I get know each other and that is good thing which leads to trust.

I hope this helps and again I am not a professional educator just a person who has been assigned to train others about specific matters.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 01:55 pm
Thanks Joanne. yes i do this too, it really helps to break the ice and start getting people to talk to each other and relax, I get them to tell me what experience they have of painting and what interests them and what they hope to get out of the class

I like the group to relate and discuss their work so it important as you say to get this going at the beginning.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 04:46 pm
Well I hope you get some of real educators at A2k to post a reply to your question.
0 Replies