EARWORMS EER' werm. (n)

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 01:59 pm
One that drives some people crazy, but doesn't bother me, is Welcome Back Kotter's theme.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:15 pm
@Lordyaswas,
"Dancing Queen" or "SOS"

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:31 pm
@Ragman,
"SOS"
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
When you talked about riffs, particularly repetitive keyboard riffs, I immediately think of '96 Tears'.

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 05:31 am
@Ragman,
I recall when that was popular and they played it all over the pace. EVERY SUPERMARKET was an ear worm implacement device.
The same **** happens today , except today supermarkest play this light country **** that usually features Taylor Swift and her insipid nasally voice.
Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 06:37 am
@farmerman,
If she hadn't goddess-like beauty, she'd be Brittney Spears.

As for ear-worms and infamous 96 Tears, I hear that it was blasting 96 Tears at loud volume levels over loudspeakers that flushed Noriega out of his hiding hole.
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:15 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
If she hadn't goddess-like beauty,

She's a two dressed up as a four.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:04 pm
@Ragman,
Every time I see her I think of Jon Benet Ramsey and not Wats er face Spears
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:15 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
I hear that it was blasting 96 Tears at loud volume levels over loudspeakers that flushed Noriega out of his hiding hole. [/quot

That was another war crimes committed by the US, Ragman. It's extremely difficult to mention anything about the US with involving the US's war crimes and terrorism, isn't it?

Isn't that just the saddest thing, the US is the exact opposite of all the propaganda? How does it feel to live in a country where the most basic things one believes are all false?
Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 09:34 am
@JTT,
I refuse to engage you in your senseless rants just on general principles. However, your literate enough to understand such threads have nothing to do with you, your politics or issues that are even remotely connected (my commentary about Noriega was merely coincidental and if you're a rational person you would've known that).

If you must leave such comments in a random manner, please refrain from commentary to me. FWIW, I'll just leave you on permanent ignore as it is my observation that you have no discretion on such matters.
Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 09:35 am
@farmerman,
I hear 'ya! I understand the parallel.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:08 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
I refuse to engage you in your senseless rants just on general principles.

A typical good explanation for the cowardly approach that most USians take.

Quote:
However, your[sic] literate enough to understand such threads have nothing to do with you, your politics or issues that are even remotely connected (my commentary about Noriega was merely coincidental and if you're a rational person you would've known that).

You've avoided the fact that the US committed a heinous war crime by illegally invading Panama. Many Panamanians died from your crimes but you think it's cool, dandy, appropriate to joke about these things?

You go ahead and ignore these things, Ragman. I'd say that the ignorance is fully on your side though I'm certain that you could drum up some support from many of the A2K crowd. Y'all have no trouble avoiding things like this.

Quote:
THE INVASION OF PANAMA
Noam Chomsky

Panama has been traditionally controlled by its tiny European elite, less than 10% of the population. That changed in 1968, when Omar Torrijos, a populist general, led a coup that allowed the black and mestizo [mixed-race] poor to obtain at least a share of the power under his military dictatorship. In 1981, Torrijos was killed in a plane crash. By 1983, the effective ruler was Manuel Noriega, a criminal who had been a cohort of Torrijos and US intelligence.

The US government knew that Noriega was involved in drug trafficking since at least 1972, when the Nixon administration considered assassinating him. But he stayed on the CIA payroll. In 1983, a US Senate committee concluded that Panama was a major center for the laundering of drug funds and drug trafficking.

The US government continued to value Noriega's services. In May 1986, the Director of the Drug Enforcement Agency praised Noriega for his "vigorous anti-drug trafficking policy." A year later, the Director "welcomed our close association" with Noriega, while Attorney-General Edwin Meese stopped a US Justice Department investigation of Noriega's criminal activities. In August 1987, a Senate resolution condemning Noriega was opposed by Elliott Abrams, the State Department official in charge of US policy in Central America and Panama.

And yet, when Noriega was formally indicted in Miami in 1988, all the charges except one were related to activities that took place before 1984 -- back when he was our boy, helping with the US war against Nicaragua, stealing elections with US approval and generally serving US interests satisfactorily. It had nothing to do with suddenly discovering that he was a gangster and a drug peddler-that was known all along.

It's all quite predictable, as study after study shows. A brutal tyrant crosses the line from admirable friend to "villain" and "scum" when he commits the crime of independence. One common mistake is to go beyond robbing the poor-which is just fine-and to start interfering with the privileged, eliciting opposition from business leaders.

By the mid 1980s, Noriega was guilty of these crimes. Among other things, he seems to have been dragging his feet about helping the US in the contra war. His independence also threatened our interests in the Panama Canal. On January 1, 1990, most of the administration of the Canal was due to go over to Panama-in the year 2000, it goes completely to them. We had to make sure that Panama was in the hands of people we could control before that date.

Since we could no longer trust Noriega to do our bidding, he had to go. Washington imposed economic sanctions that virtually destroyed the economy, the main burden falling on the poor nonwhite majority. They too came to hate Noriega, not least because he was responsible for the economic warfare (which was illegal, if anyone cares) that was causing their children to starve.

[Read on, Ragman, Farmer et al at,]

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Chomsky/ChomOdon_Panama.html

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:57 am
@farmerman,
and ... speaking of worms...
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 11:20 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Re: farmerman (Post 5477839)
and ... speaking of worms...

Yes, Ragman, speaking of worms,

Quote:
Then, in December 1989, the US celebrated the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the Cold War by invading Panama outright, killing hundreds or perhaps thousands of civilians (no one knows, and few north of the Rio Grande care enough to inquire).

Have you sought to find out how many Panamnians died because of the illegal invasion by the US? Do you think Farmerman has?

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:25 pm
@Ragman,
I see that its posting again. A2K I its own masturbatorium .
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
You sure are a shitty speller for an "academic", Farmer. Why don't you have one of your sheep, maybe your favorite one, when the wife is away of course, spell check for you?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 12:49 am
Somebody's Watching Me......Rockwell
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 08:29 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
anything by goddam Canadian songsters (like Bare Naekkid Ladies or Shania Twain) will become an earworm without prompt medical attention.
vonny

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 02:53 pm
@farmerman,
Heard this today whilst lying in the bath - can't get it out of my head now - perhaps if I post it here, I'll rid myself of the accursed tune!

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 06:00 pm
@vonny,
Do they place her on one of those vibrating tables to get that phony tremolo?
God I find her a talentless one