Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu

pueo

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:01 am
Otherwise known as Mother Teresa, she has been designated for sainthood. Detractors have said that the first "miracle" of two needed for sainthood is not valid.

Not being catholic myself, I don't know the ins and outs of this sainthood thing. In light of all the troubles in the catholic church, why not just do it?

In all accounts she led a good life and accomplished more than most of the catholic church. As far as I can see most of the clergy is happy to stay away from any "real work" for the people they profess to be helping. Not unlike Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, but that's another subject.

Why should'nt she be considered a saint?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,075 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:10 am
pueo- Like any organization, the Catholic Church has a "job description" for sainthood:

Link to Sainthood

Potential saints have to exhibit certain qualifications, and go through a lot of red tape before they can be considered for that title. You can be the greatest person, and have done the most marvelous things, but if you don't qualify according to the rules, you won't become a saint.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:23 am
Phoenix, thanks for the link. Buracracy everywhere it seems.

BTW, isn't it really late in Florida?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:53 am
Mother
It's late everywhere, Pueo.

I'm up refilling the humidifier that I was too lazy to fill before I laid down.

There is, and Sister Mary Trinita of St. James School would be so disapointed that I cannot remember it all, a three step process to the declaration of sainthood. It's mostly to slow things down a bit. Humans are excitable, and we are in such short supply of saints among us that we might have the tendency to declare a sainthood on any passing person who was the least bit kind or was able to go through life without murdering a single soul.
So there is an investigation. It is an inquiry unlike most today, it looks for the good and that rarest of present events, the unexplained.

Ah, the water tank is filled and I am headed back to sleep. Be well.
Joe
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:45 am
Pueo- Yes, it was VERY late in Florida. 4:10 in the morning when I wrote that post. I had gotten up, and just felt like checking in to A2K. And then the time just flies.........................
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:56 am
The Biblical definition of a SAINT is not as protracted or overly complicated as the Catholic Church makes it. Anyone who leads a holy life and follows/implements the teachings of Jesus Christ is deemed a Saint of God.

Please note the following scripture:

Ephesians 5:3 "But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:02 am
Realizing that i risk tirades from my fellows i cannot but say that Teresa, working with the poor, the starving, the throw-away trash of society and still clinging to the notion, the advocacy of avoidence of birth control is quite alarming to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:08 am
dyslexia- Agree. It seems so perverse, so cruel, to teach people who have nothing in life, that they are not permitted to practice birth control, or have an abortion, when the birth control fails.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 01:04 am
If Mother Theresa does NOT become a saint, then I truly do give up! She above all others, deserves sainthood ... the irony of it all is, she wouldn't care, she did what she was born to do, serve her God!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 01:10 am
Bullseye, Misti.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 04:27 pm
Pueo, it doesn't really seem to matter what the process is when becoming a saint because it is determined by human beings.

I wonder if there are saints all around us, simply thoroughly good people who go through life without the usual sins most of us commit, but who are never recognized by an organized establishment?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 03:24 am
IMHO, everyone has made good points. Sad though, that "The Church" has problems making up their collective minds on this subject. Hopefully good sense will prevail and they do what's right.

Guam is decidedly catholic, no separation of church and state here. I get a strangely perverse pleasure out of debating many church topics including this one with the locals. Not to cause trouble, well maybe just a little, to see what they really think.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:49 pm
she only helped the poor on condition of conversion.

and drove the same hard bargain/barter till her last days.
0 Replies