What is purgatory like?

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm
If there is a heaven and a hell, and they are the extreme good and bad places, what is purgatory like? Is it like earth, only in a spirit world? And who goes there? I know that unbaptised babies end up there (at least I've heard that), but what others end up there? Would an adult who never heard of Christianity go there, or would they just go straight to hell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,243 • Replies: 28
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
truth
It's like a very long line at the Department of Motor Vehicles, but the only people who suffer the line are those who DESIRE to drive a car.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:43 pm
I'm not sure I believe in purgatory (or Limbo). Or the other places, actually. Or, for that matter, the religion which espouses them!
I had a baby who died before baptism, and my ex-mother-in-law, a devout Catholic, bemoaned the fact that he wouldn't get to Heaven. I became a religious flake for awhile, then I came back to my senses. I just don't believe it. And if it were true, Why would I want to worship a God that doesn't permit unbaptised babies into "his kingdom"? Just because some guy in robes who studied Him and took vows didn't put water on his head? I don't think so! It's yet another scare tactic of religion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
It's like Lynchburg Va.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:50 pm
It's warm. And there's a lack of chairs.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
Question
My computer froze and I had to re-start after I posted that last one... yikes!
maybe I should rethink this whole thing?! Confused Laughing
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:45 am
When I was a kid my mom said it was kinda like being sent to your room:)
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:46 am
suzy wrote:
I'm not sure I believe in purgatory (or Limbo). Or the other places, actually. Or, for that matter, the religion which espouses them!
I had a baby who died before baptism, and my ex-mother-in-law, a devout Catholic, bemoaned the fact that he wouldn't get to Heaven. I became a religious flake for awhile, then I came back to my senses. I just don't believe it. And if it were true, Why would I want to worship a God that doesn't permit unbaptised babies into "his kingdom"? Just because some guy in robes who studied Him and took vows didn't put water on his head? I don't think so! It's yet another scare tactic of religion.

I agree, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever, because God is love itself and good itself. I'm convinced that God takes as good care of those who aren't baptised as he takes care of those who are.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:47 am
This one is as old as the hills, and shows it.

It would involve putting a woman in a room with dozens of gorgeous hats, and no mirrors! Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:25 am
We really won't know what's going on in purgatory, until someone returns to earth from there and gives a seminar on the subject.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:48 am
suzy wrote:

Dave Allan an Irish comedian, who picked on Protestants and Catholics with an even handed wicked humour told a story about someone dying and going to heaven.

St Peter took him in along a long corridor - he opened a door and there were all the Hindus having fun, then another door and there were all the Buddhists and so it went on with all the worlds religions, then they got to a door which he tiptoed by with his finger to his lips for silence, When they were past it the man asked why they had to creep by 'That's the catholics in there and they think they're the only *********'a up here' said St Peter.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:56 am
The Port Kembla Steelworks.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
Texas in August.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm
living with himself when he's in a mood

oh no - sorry that's hell
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:03 pm
Do you have to be a Catholic or a recovering Catholic to enjoy the benefits of purgatory?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:33 pm
Maybe it's like a sauna with the steam turned off.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:39 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Do you have to be a Catholic or a recovering Catholic to enjoy the benefits of purgatory?

probably 'cos they think the rest of us are all bound for hell anyway Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:30 pm
That is so funny Vivian - I am sure they do.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
I'll have to repeat a quote here. there was a king from some "heathen" country who adopted christianity. When he inquired what would happen to his father, who had never had the chance to accept Christ, he was told he would go to hell, or purgatory, or something to that extent, and the king said, "Then by Thor, I'm going there with him!"
I read that in a book somewhere. You gotta love his style.
0 Replies