ON A2K, WHAT KIND OF TOPICS ATTRACT AN AUDIENCE?

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:42 pm
Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,425 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:43 pm
Mapleleaf- The best way for you to figure that one out is to go to the "Forum Index". Click on each category, and you will see the amount of posts that each topic has. Off the top of my head, I could safely say that the "Word Association" topic has, by far, the most posts. Another thing- A2Kers do not appear to be as obsessed by the present administration in the U.S., as is demonstrated on Abuzz.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 08:46 pm
Phoenix

Which is good for those of us who don't live in the US ... It was very hard to properly participate with only a general understanding of the issues & personalities under discussion ... Simply didn't have that necessary nitty gritty understanding of what was happening.
Also a feeling that what was happening in one's own country was of little interest, or irrelevant, even ..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
Msolga- One of the things that I am enjoying is that there appears to be groups of people on A2K who do come from the same part of the world. I see that the folks from "down under" have a nice group of people with whom they can discuss issues of particular interest to the folks who live in that part of the world. I have seen a similar situation with people who hail from Great Britain!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 09:15 pm
Only - it seems at present that the australians are mainly discussing bagels! Harrumph!
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:07 am
I figger most folks are dispossessed to laugh, whether it's ironical, farcical, parodontal or just plain and simply sillicle. I know I am.

I suspect there are topics of a more portly and flatulent nature ... politics, economics, wars, famines, droughts, epidemics, floods, devastions, death, dismemberment, mayhem ... but I always seem to be out in left field somewhere when those things come up for discussion and miss all the fun.
<schniff> Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:22 am
I´m with Debacle on that one.Political,historical and philosophical discussions usually make me feel more of a dumbass than I am already.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 01:27 pm
Don't forget it's still pretty early in the life of A2K, and we really don't have a huge # of members (most of whom know one another). Hence, there's a lot of chatty stuff right now. That will probably balance out to more requests for information in the future.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 04:09 pm
I find myself in the same situation as Debacle and hebba. And then when I come upon a topic where I feel I can add a brilliant response--oh, nuts, someone has beat me to the punch so I put my tail between my legs and saunter over to the next topic. Sad
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 04:46 pm
Actually, moseying is more my style, Mustang. Never been very adept at sauntering. There's a very subtle difference which, given time and inclination, I could explain, but I gotta mosey along now.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 01:00 am
Good question!!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 02:47 am
I find it interesting some topics may list hundreds, even thousands, of "Views" yet have but a small fraction of that number of "Replies". There appears to be a good deal of "Lurking" going on here. I know I do a lot of it ... I'll often watch a thread develop over a number of posts before I decide whether to "jump in". Too, there are threads in which I have participated to which I really have nothing to add. I continue to watch many such, but have pretty much said what I have to say of the matter at discussion. There are several threads, some lengthy, others less so, in which I merely lurk, following the development but for any of a variety of reasons not interacting. Judging from the "Views" to "Replies" ratios, I suspect I am not alone in this practice.

timber
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 03:05 am
I certainly lurk where I have interest but no expertise - I lurk to learn!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 03:27 am
I cannot speak on behalf of everyone, but I am interested in topics appearing in the forums of History, Philosophy, Religion & Spirituality, International News and Politics. Not all of them are of equal value, but I want to express my respect to thoughtful postings of such members as Timberlandko, Phoenix, Walter Hinteler, Cicerone Imposter [/i][/color] and some others.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 03:59 am
All with intellects that scare me:)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 06:29 am
Steissd- Thanks for the compliment. I was just reading the thread about Darwinism and Religion- with my mouth open, for three reasons. One, the folks in that thread were way over my head in terms of their referneces. I was not familiar at all with many of their citations. (But not for long.) Second, was the high intellectual level of this thread. And third, could you imagine what would have happened if this thread were posted to Abuzz?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 02:52 pm
Sorry for delay in my response, Phoenix. I was at my work when you posted a response, in Israel Christmas and Christmas Eve are not days off, unfortunately.
Such a discussion on Abuzz (I mean, Abuzz in its current state) would trigger a verbal brawl of creationists and evolutionists with usage of all the foul vocabulary that is available in English (thanks God, people there do not know Russian... Evil or Very Mad Laughing )
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 05:21 pm
I LEAVE FRIDAY ON A FAMILY TRIP, SHOULD BE BACK TO ATTEND TO THREADS ON SATURDAY, JAN. 4.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 05:53 pm
steissd, thanks for including me among such esteemed company in your earlier post on this thread. It is indeed honor to be considered in similar light as such others you mentioned.

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:07 pm
blush.... Embarrassed I think Asherman brings some well thought out postings, although I don't always agree with him. But isn't that what makes A2K so much fun? It gives us a chance to see other views, and agree or disagree without the childish invectives of Abuzz. c.i.
0 Replies