Proof that Jesus is a fictional invetion?

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 08:16 am
According to the link below, evidence has been found that the entire story of Jesus was fabricated. This is something skeptics have been saying for years, but now, if we are to believe this, it has been conclusively proven.

This raises many questions, but I'll only ask one. If it indeed turns out that this evidence is the real deal, wouldn't that once and for all place the new testament in the category of fictional writing? I mean, those who claim rights based on their christian beliefs would be no different from those claiming rights based on religious ideas from Lord of the Rings or any other fictional story. But I can hear them already. This "evidence" was planted by the devil. He is crafty, and this is precisely the sort of thing he would do.

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 08:20 am
@Cyracuz,
Uh oh....
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 09:24 am
@Cyracuz,
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:33 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
If it indeed turns out that this evidence is the real deal, wouldn't that once and for all place the new testament in the category of fictional writing?

Yes.

But then the evidence isn't the "real deal." In fact, it isn't even evidence. As the author admits: "Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren't all immediately obvious." Granted, all of that conceptual and poetic evidence can add up, but it usually adds up to zero - which I expect is the case here.
Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:03 am
@joefromchicago,
In another thread, one of the members posted a link to a précis of the author's argument. It was rather flimsy, and no evidence at all.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:23 am
@joefromchicago,
I am inclined to agree.
Can we really speak of evidence regarding texts that are thousands of years old? These old confessions they have discovered, can they be authenticated beyond any reasonable doubt? Something tells me that would be rather difficult..
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:51 am
@Cyracuz,
As I understand it, nothing has been discovered. It's just an author who has taken Josephus's Jewish War, an extremely well-known text, and "reinterpreted" it as a linguistically subversive Roman propaganda text. That's not so much a discovery as pure conjecture.

I don't expect that any of the sources that we currently know about can be authenticated beyond a reasonable doubt. That's not to say that we'll never find evidence either proving or disproving the existence of Jesus. Perhaps some day a Bedouin shepherd will run across the bill from the Last Supper or a first draft of the Sermon on the Mount. Until then, we're left with what we have.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:56 am
@joefromchicago,
And here I was getting ready for a scandal. What a disppointment. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:56 am
My apologies for spelling. The keyboard I am currently typing on doesn't register every press of the buttons
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:39 pm
@Cyracuz,
As far as old texts go, they're notorious unreliable. The putative passages in Flavius Josephus which are alleged to refer to Jesus are very likely interpolations. Louis Feldman of Yeshiva University, arguably the world's greatest living Hellenistic scholar and particularly with reference to Flavius Josephus, published a paper in the 1980s in which he states that more than 80% of modern scholars consider the Josephus passage to be at least in part, and some of saying in full, an interpolation. The famous passage in Tacitus which claims to mention Jesus (it doesn't actually do that) is considered by reputable scholars (those without a christian agenda) to be an interpolation.

As Joe points out, there is no confession. Even if there were, the provenance could reasonably be doubted--it could be a fabriction or an interpolation. As i said before, this guy's argument is flimsy.
Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:29 pm
Two door-to-door salesmen see each other on a street. They discover that their similar briefcases hold the same item that both are selling. One says to the other, "This is my street to sell." The other salesman replies, "No. This is my usual street to sell." The first salesman says, "People love me here. They think of me as Jesus Christ." The second salesman says, "If you can prove that, I'll leave and you can sell on this street."

So, the first salesman goes up to a nearby house door and knocks. A woman answers the door, and seeing the salesman announces in a loud voice, "Jesus Christ, are you here again!"

The second salesman shugs his shoulders and leaves.

End of an old joke.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
I'll go along with Setanta considering his historiographical sensibilities. Moreover, even if I were to accept the existence of an historical Jesus I certainly cannot go along with his transformation (by Paul?) into the image of The Christ.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:23 pm
The Shroud of Turin has lately been dated to the time of Jesus by someone. I don't know what methods they used or anything. If they only could find his burial site and some linen threads that match - Razz
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:23 pm
marking
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:26 pm
I bet Joe Atwill is hoping to make a bundle on this scam.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There is that. Smile

I think Joe and Set make very convincing arguments. A new interpretation of some already known text is hardly sensational. I guess it becomes a popularity contest of sorts. Fuel on the fire...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:59 pm
@Cyracuz,
That PRWeb page, of course, is designed to give a false impression of the thesis. The headline reads
Quote:
Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

What ancient confessions? The writings of Josephus? The headline makes it sounds as though some new documents had been discovered. That's how I understood it. Then I began to read the text of the press release and realized that there is absolutely nothing new about any of this. The quote in the headline, too, is spurious. 'We invented Jesus Christ'? Who said that? No attribution at all. I think I use the word 'scam' advisedly here.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 04:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, that is what I understood as well. I read it rather quickly, but I got the impression that there was some new text that was going to be revealed. But it seems to be more a case of something "new" being "found" in already known texts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 04:37 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I'll go along with Setanta considering his historiographical sensibilities. Moreover, even if I were to accept the existence of an historical Jesus I certainly cannot go along with his transformation (by Paul?) into the image of The Christ.
Neither do I. Where did you see that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 09:05 pm
As with gods, Jesus has to be proven before I believe he physically existed. I cannot accept either under the circumstances.
0 Replies