Eyeball jewelry a new Dutch fashion trend

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:20 am
Quote:
Eyeball jewelry a new Dutch fashion trend
Surgeons implant glittering shapes into eye's membrane

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040407/040407_eyejewel_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpg
Michael Kooren / Reuters
Deborah Boer models the "Jewel Eye" in her hometown of Driebergen, Netherlands on Wednesday. The "Jewel Eye" is implanted underneath the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane covering the eye.

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewelry.

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewelry called "JewelEye" in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.
The procedure involves inserting a 0.13 inch wide piece of specially developed jewelry -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye's mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of $610 to $1,232.

"In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people," said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery

The piece of jewelry is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

"Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva," Melles said. "So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don't expect any in the future."

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewelry made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant
SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,549 • Replies: 19
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:20 am
Wow I cannot wait - eye jewelery.

Walter do I need to get any piercing before hand to compliement the image of body art?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:59 am
"Subtle"?

Hmmm.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:03 am
I was considering having my 'head' pearced. Cool
(any side effects could only be an improvement!)
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
I'm sure as soon as this hits the states at least two of my co-workers @ FedEx Ground will have this done.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
i can picture it now, in the ghettos of the future; when sombody dies, they not only strip the bodie of rings, and watches, but...........
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
JoanneDorel wrote:

Walter do I need to get any piercing before hand to compliement the image of body art?

You aren't pierced? Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
Nope, well I have picereced ears and a tattoo. But no other body decorations except the ones I was born with.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:38 am
I dont need eye jewellery - my eyes are jewels by themselves <smug look>
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:39 am
Why Gautam I can see that and your beautiful hair too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:48 am
And legs, JD. Don't forget his legs!

Sticking jewelry in the eye?! OUCH!!!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
Hmm..shall I upload a recent photo of mine then - if you ladies promise not to faint and swoon (or is it the other way round)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
Yes - we will not laugh, right Eva.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:56 am
JoanneDorel wrote:
....... I have "picereced" ears......

eewww, that must have been extremely pinful; or, i'm sorry, is that a birth defect?

[waiting breathlessly Gautam]
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:58 am
BGW you guessed in birf deficit
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
In order to maintain the aura of mystery arnd me, I have decided not to. After all anticipation is much better than climax !

That, and not to give JD giggling fits Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
Gautam wrote:
..........After all anticipation is much better than climax !..........

hmmm perchance yer sexual encounters got, shall we say, 'nipped in the bud!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:33 am
'Twould've been torture anyway, Gautam dear, since you are not interested in us. <sniff>
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:30 pm
Why are women always attracted to handsome guys not interested in us? Or is that another thread.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
Because as Gorgeous Gautam's signature states, the best looking guys are usually gay....(BIG sigh)
0 Replies