How old do you think this gentlemen is?

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 09:20 am
http://i40.tinypic.com/o5uvqg.jpg
The context behind the photograph and my question:
http://tinyurl.com/o5g8h8a

The answer:
s,uosıɹɹoW ʇɐ loɥoɔlɐ ƃuıʎnq ǝlıɥʍ 8Ɩ ɹǝʌo sı ǝɥ ǝʌoɹd oʇ pǝʞsɐ sı ⅄┴ℲIℲ pǝƃɐ ǝǝɹɥʇ-ɟo-ɹǝɥʇɐℲ

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 09:28 am
@tsarstepan,
I guessed 40..

Here in New Mexico, they ask everyone buying alcoholic beverages for i.d. - even if a person is 80. I'm not sure if it is local, state, or national law or just the stores I've been shopping in thinking it saves trouble in the end re getting stung with selling to underaged people.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
By facial features, 35 - 40.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 10:27 am
This is one of those situations where the poor store clerk can't win. In most UK supermarkets that I have been in, when an alcohol item gets scanned, I see the clerk punch a button on their keyboard that confirms the age check. The receipt shows "Age confirmed" or something like that. They have to do this. They generally look at me as they do it. I think that what they are confirming is that they are certain that I don't look under 25. Now in my case, I definitely do not look under 25, so the clerk is in the clear, there is not going to be any comeback on the store or disciplinary action on them. They can do the next items and complete the sale, and not hold up the line of customers (another thing they are under pressure to do) We don't know how old the clerk was, but many young people I know have trouble guessing how old you are if you are over about 30. I guess the man in the article is young enough in appearance that the clerk grew uncertain and decided to cover his/her ass this time. That's all. Another non-story from the crap paper, the Daily Mail. They love this sort of thing.

contrex

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 10:55 am
Also many black people age very gracefully. I showed this story to my (Jamaican roots, aged 40) colleague and he laughed and said "black don't crack". He has had similar treatment from white supermarket clerks, expecially younger, dumber ones. He would not think of calling the Daily Mail about it. He said "just look at Prince, Q-Tip, Pharrell Williams, Chris Rock, Blair Underwood, etc."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:13 am
@contrex,
In NYC, bars after a certain hour have to ID (seemingly) everyone regardless of age for entry because of city laws and insurance policies. You're right Contrex. The poor liquor store clerk in this story as well as the bartenders/bouncers of NYC don't deserve any possible flack from this strict carding policy. They're doing what they need to do to keep their jobs.
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 11:30 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

In NYC, bars after a certain hour have to ID (seemingly) everyone regardless of age for entry because of city laws and insurance policies. You're right Contrex. The poor liquor store clerk in this story as well as the bartenders/bouncers of NYC don't deserve any possible flack from this strict carding policy. They're doing what they need to do to keep their jobs.

Yes indeed. They are not well paid, usually, and are expected to be polite and pleasant to every dickweed that comes past their checkout. They get hassled by (dickweed, often) managers and know that they can be easily replaced. There was a recent story in the UK press about a checkout clerk who refused to scan a woman's items until she stopped talking on her cell phone. Most commentators sided with the checkout assistant, and the store said they were "supporting" her.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23190261

This comment on the BBC News website story got a score of +5:

Quote:
Good for the shop assistant! Too many people wander around the shops in a semi-clad state, screaming at their kids and having loud pointless phone conversations. The rush to the media on the part of the phone user simply demonstrates their ignorance and a misguided view of their own importance. That said, having been to Crayford I am not entirely surprised.

This one got a score of -184:

Quote:
Supermarket staff are paid to scan my goods, take my payment and hand over my receipt, as well as deal with any other queries I might have at that stage. I don't want to engage in conversation with them, its none of their business if I'm having a nice day or not, and if I want to be on the phone at the same time that's my choice. Not being rude or anything, but just do your job please.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I might have ID'd him if I had been working.

I always used to figure that asking for the ID was the safe move...and mostly, it was perceived as a compliment rather than an insult.

This guy looks to be in his late 20's or early 30's...but being safe is a part of the liquor business.
0 Replies

Everyotherday

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
26-35
0 Replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would have sold him the drink, he looks old enough, but I would not have guessed that he was 50.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 08:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I guessed 55...but was thinking his face couldn't have been more than 40...at least he was somewhere in between that. 50 doesn't surprise me.

Note: he doesn't have young eyes, which I've always found to be a more accurate guide than facial features...but it's difficult in static photos.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 05:16 am
How old do you think this 'gentleman' is?

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/af/5c/af5c7b44a741dc22438a122ce7f56299.JPG?itok=prDIwZhL
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspect-in-san-antonio-beating-death-i-feel-like-killing-someone/
Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
He looks like he's probably somewhere between 38 and 42.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:29 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
I would guess he is approximately 32 to 34
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not surprising at all! I still get asked for my ID when I buy liquor at Grocery Outlet, and I'm 79 years old.
0 Replies