Any crap that you want to discuss

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:39 pm
(Me too... :-) )
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
I see the red X too! What could it mean?!!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
My gorsh. Then all is well in turban town and and on the raft. Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
Allright Ackers! At Ease!

I'll fess up. The red cross in my avatar signifies that I am recently deceased. And that I'm hangin round that place where all good Ackers go.

The recently opened Super Wal-Mart
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 03:10 pm
I thought the good A2Kers went to the A2K broom closet when they die.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 03:12 pm
That's after they come home with a 48 pack of "Swiffies"
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 04:19 pm
Re: What the hell is a huckleberry friend?
kickycan wrote:
In the lyrics to the song "Moon River", they use the term "huckleberry friend". What does that mean?

a blackberry and a raspberry
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
Quote:

why even have one?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:35 pm
beebo wrote:
why even have one?

There are several reasons. My picture is that of a New England Cotton Tail. Quite a few people here have rabbit avatars. As recently as about a month ago, there was only one. The idividual who has that avatar is well-liked, thoughtful, tough girl, lotsa fun, compassionate, funny--so, to pull her leg a little, several people started to display rabbit avatars. This is actually my second, as i started with an arctic hare. Many people have now gone through more than one rabbit avatar. So, avatars are a form of play--grown ups get to play, too, ya know.

It is also an excellent identification marker when reading a thread. You come to recognize an avatar as one recognizes a face. In scrolling through the hundreds of thousands of posts here, it helps to have such markers. Even when someone changes, everyone else adjusts fairly quickly.

The combination of the avatar and one's perception of the member also combine, and an extended playful metaphor develops. One member recently referred to a post of mine in which i pointed out that someone else didn't really care what people at the site think, he just wants to post his "message," get it out, and the more popular the site the better. He responded: "Rabbits words are iron." Meaning, he understood, and he agreed. Referring to me as rabbit (or doggie, in the times when previously my avatar was always a dog picture), is simply a part of the metaphor of personal communication here.

In another thread, one of our valued members, Soz, spoke of cliques, and the value of this site for not succumbing to "cliquism" (term i just used, not hers). Her point is well taken, and when one has an avatar which people can quickly recognize, the period of adjustment to the "society" here goes more quickly and comfortably. You got to the top of a page, and you say to yourself: "Oh, there's Kicky, i like his style, what's he written?" The new member quickly gains identity which facilitates participation.

For many of us, this site represents more than simply a place to pick things up and to drop them off. The avatar is an integral part of the entire, very typically human community which arose here, just as such "societies" can be expected to arise in any successful site.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:57 am
On the other hand Beebo, avatars can have a detrimental effect on your ability to absorb what someone is saying. Just as in society, people are judged by physical and vocal characteristics such as height, weight,the color of their skin, the shape of their nose, the wrinkles on their face and the accent they speak with. An avatar in the A2K "society" can have the same effect. You might not try to understand a debaters point of view as carefully because you associate their avatar with a past disagreement or unpleasantness. Or you might just skip their posts altogether because in the past they've held no interest for you. Avatars can also signal the beginning of a clique as Set so wisely pointed out. The clique of the rabbit can be construed as a group that has formed to slightly differentiate itself from the rest of us. For these reasons I choose to not have an avatar even though not having an avatar is an avatar in itself. What's important about this wonderful site is that we're capable of choosing our friends our supporters our antagonists our avatars our handles and our viewpoints. That's why I'm here. And that's why I urge you to make your own choices.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
You running for office, panzade? ;-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Soz, Isn't everyone running for office? heh! heh!

Huck was based on a real boy, Tom Blankenship, who lived near the Clemens'.

As to the avatars, I suppose that "......foolish consistency is the hob-goblins of little minds...." but since I didn't see any hob-goblins in the choice of avatars, I just picked the one that looked the most as I do in real life.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:16 am
As a matter of fact I am Rosie. Wanna be my campaign manager?
My first task, if elected sheriff of avatars, will be to get Fishin's dead bunny on the side of the road avatar removed.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:55 am
panzade wrote:
clique of the rabbit can be construed as a group that has formed to slightly differentiate itself from the rest of us. For these reasons I choose to not have an avatar even though not having an avatar is an avatar in itself. .

the avatar you choose is an aspect of your personality and i like them. The clique of the rabbit Shocked ! dlowan comes across as a very nice, thoughtful deep person witht a frivolous fun side - a lot of people like her - that isn't a clique.

Other people are popular for their varying personalities, humour, knowledge of subjects, ability to discuss in a non dogmatic way.

The avatars help you pick out comments from people you have come to like on the site.

I don't like Cav's avatar - but having heard his very good explanation of why he chose it, it is very apt. I like Cav's comments and knowledge and the avatar wouldn't prevent me reading his posts!

My IQ profile classifies me as a visual linguist - and i think that is pretty accurate - therefore visual elements like avatars and colours of the font people use are unconsciously absorbed in assessing people's character, I'm sure there are many people on the site who feel the same.

When I first joined the site i wondered if it was cliquey because people knew each other and had 'in' jokes - but it isn't. They are friendly and welcoming and inclusive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
Oh, that's what it is! Thanks for filling me in, panzade. My monitor is slowly dying (well, the process has been speeding up lately) and getting darker and darker and I haven't been able to figure out Fishin's avatar.

Yes, cleaning up roadkill! A good, solid, public service sort of thing.

Will we give it to poor people for their suppers? A twofer there... santitation AND feeding the hungry.

Man, I'm good. You won't regret signing on Rosie as your campaign manager... just you wait.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:10 pm
Rosie? is she moonlighting????
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:29 pm
The clique of the bunny? Shocked

I was just trying to get in the holiday spirit for Easter myself...

Val Kilmer can be my huckleberry anytime he likes...no, Dennis Quaid would be even better...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
Hee hee Vivien... you have noooo idea what she's up to when your back is turned... Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
Quote:
the avatar you choose is an aspect of your personality and i like them. The clique of the rabbit ! dlowan comes across as a very nice, thoughtful deep person witht a frivolous fun side - a lot of people like her - that isn't a clique.

clique-A small exclusive group of friends or associates

My crummy dictionary makes no distinction between "good" or "bad" cliques and neither do I. Wether dlowan is a good or bad idol for the bunny clique does not affect the fact that it is a clique nevertheless. And in my rebuttal to Set I stated this rather clearly. A lot of people like her but they don't change their avatars to bunnies to say so. When they do so, you then have a clique. I will take it that since Set has changed his avatar to ...puppies? he has some sympathy for my line of reasoning.

Quote:
Other people are popular for their varying personalities, humour, knowledge of subjects, ability to discuss in a non dogmatic way.

Yes and some are unpopular for their lack of humor, ill knowledge of subjects and inability to discuss in a non dogmatic way. Still, they should be heard without prejudgement which an avatar fosters.

Quote:
The avatars help you pick out comments from people you have come to like on the site.

My stance is that they help you avoid comments that you don't like. Which is detrimental to good debate which, I assume, is why a lot of us are here

Quote:
I don't like Cav's avatar - but having heard his very good explanation of why he chose it, it is very apt. I like Cav's comments and knowledge and the avatar wouldn't prevent me reading his posts!

If Cav hadn't volunteered to explain his avatar(which seems ridiculous to me) there's a good possibility you might have ignored his postings(which I agree, are some of my favorites) and thought of him as a little **** with nothing instructive to add to the site

Quote:
My IQ profile classifies me as a visual linguist - and i think that is pretty accurate - therefore

My IQ profile classifies me as a detector of B.S., but that is neither here nor there.

Quote:
When I first joined the site i wondered if it was cliquey because people knew each other and had 'in' jokes - but it isn't. They are friendly and welcoming and inclusive.

When I first joined the site I wondered the same thing and I've come to the same conclusions you have. I'm just making an effort to keep it that way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm
panzade wrote:
Yes and some are unpopular for their lack of humor, ill knowledge of subjects and inability to discuss in a non dogmatic way. Still, they should be heard without prejudgement which an avatar fosters.

This is my first experience on a discussion board that uses avatars. In my previous experiences, usernames alone were quite enough to accrue their own prejudgement. ("Oh, god, it's _____," or "Hey, it's _____!")

For what it's worth, all of the non-avatar-enabled discussion boards I've been on were much more cliquey than this avatar-enabled discussion board. (As you point out and illustrate yourself, avatars are not a requirement here, they're a choice.) I think you're attaching rather too much importance to them.

But certainly, if you don't want one, don't have one. No biggie.
0 Replies