Any crap that you want to discuss

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:43 am
In the lyrics to the song "Moon River", they use the term "huckleberry friend". What does that mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,453 • Replies: 152
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
Something about Huckleberry Finn? Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer, river, etc.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:22 am
"I'm your huckleberry." Doc Holiday in "Tombstone."
And then there's Huckleberry HoundDog.
I'm with you kicky. What in the heck is a huckleberry? Is it a berry of some kind?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:27 am
We always called wild blueberries "huckleberries", and Google confirms that to be correct.

http://www.statehousegirls.net/id/symbols/fruit/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:32 am
I think "I'm your Huckleberry" is again Huckleberry Finn/ Tom Sawyer. The original buddy/ road story. "Huckleberry friend" as sung by Audrey Hepburn to me means a sort of tomboyish, close friendship.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:14 pm
It is the Huckleberry Finn/ Tom Sawyer relationship in the mark twain novel, a "huckleberry friend" in this case is the right person for the job.

The "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, H-O" by J.E. Lighter (Random House, New York, 1997) lists several meanings: 1. minuscule amount. 2. a fellow; character; boy. "one's huckleberry," the very person for the job. 3. bad treatment. "the huckleberry" is similar to "the raspberry." 4. a foolish, inept or inconsequential fellow.

As you can see it depends on how the word is being used.

Read http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-huc1.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
Interesting, I wonder if Huckleberry Finn was so named because of the connotations above -- 2. a fellow; character; boy. "one's huckleberry," the very person for the job -- or if the connotations came from Huckleberry Finn.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:25 pm
From the link I posted:

As huckleberries are small, dark and rather insignificant, in the early part of the nineteenth century the word became a synonym for something humble or minor, or a tiny amount. An example from 1832: "He was within a huckleberry of being smothered to death". Later on it came to mean somebody inconsequential. Mark Twain borrowed some aspects of these ideas to name his famous character, Huckleberry Finn. His idea, as he told an interviewer in 1895, was to establish that he was a boy "of lower extraction or degree" than Tom Sawyer.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:31 pm
HUCLEBERRY FRIEND
I looked through my copy of "Huckleberry Finn" and came up with this idea: In the book, Huck has to struggle to befriend a slave named Jim, an arduous task in the 1880's ante bellum south. In the course of their adventures their friendship becomes a strong and enduring entity.

Johnny Mercer, the lyricist wrote:

"Two drifters, off to see the world,
There's such a lot of world to see,
We're after the same rainbow's end
Waitin' round the bend
My Huckleberry friend,
Moon river and me."

I imagine this was a clever word play to insinuate a friendship forged through travel and adventure. On a raft. On Moon River

WARNING: Lyricists and composers lead complicated lives.

We can either have a heated debate about this or just agree that I'm right. A big LOL!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:36 pm
Soz, could you do something about your avatar. It's really irritating. Sincerely,

Panzade. Secretary for Edgar Blythe's Legionnaires
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
Very Happy panzade. Absolutely! You are right! but then, so is everyone else.

I think the clue is "drifters" and the analogy is the river of the moon to the great Mississippi. Sorta reminds me of the hobos of the wabashed coffee.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:43 pm
I don't find Sozobe's avatar irritating at all, what is the problem?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:06 pm
safecracker wrote:
It is the Huckleberry Finn/ Tom Sawyer relationship in the mark twain novel, a "huckleberry friend" in this case is the right person for the job.

The "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, H-O" by J.E. Lighter (Random House, New York, 1997) lists several meanings: 1. minuscule amount. 2. a fellow; character; boy. "one's huckleberry," the very person for the job. 3. bad treatment. "the huckleberry" is similar to "the raspberry." 4. a foolish, inept or inconsequential fellow.

As you can see it depends on how the word is being used.

Read http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-huc1.htm

I think it means a foolish friend, like in the bold definition. Like fools in love, stuff like that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:06 pm
And I like Soz's avatar.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:15 pm
Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezze!
Can't anyone pull a leg around here?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:17 pm
Kicky, I enjoy your musings a lot. Give us another question.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
Kinda busy right now--f*cking work--but don't worry, I'll have more brain droppings later. I always do.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
Of course the story is fiction...but, could you imagine having a friend named Huckleberry?

I also like Sozobe's avatar...a woman with strength!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
Heh!

Meanwhile, panzade sweetie, you do realize that your avatar is just this blank box with a red X up in the corner, doncha?

That's what I see, anyway.

<looks around furtively and wonders briefly about what others see... or don't see... feels existential crisis looming... skedaddles>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:38 pm
Soz, Panz was just jokin' with 'ya.
0 Replies