Saudi princess Meshael Alayban: US 'slavery' case dropped

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 11:41 am
From the BBC website. Justice, or special treatment for Saudi Royals?

Quote:
Charges have been dropped against a Saudi princess who was accused of human trafficking after a Kenyan maid said her passport was taken and she was forced to work for meagre pay.

On Friday, prosecutors in the US state of California said they were unable to corroborate the allegations against Meshael Alayban, 42.

Ms Alayban's lawyers said the maid's claims were a scam to remain in the US.

The charges carried a penalty of up to 12 years in prison.

Friday's announcement came during what was originally supposed be Ms Alayban's arraignment.

Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas told the judge the evidence did not support charges against Ms Alayban and moved to dismiss the case.

Ms Alayban, reportedly one of six wives of a scion of the Saudi royal family, had been free on $5m (£3.1m) bail posted by the Saudi consulate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183135
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 821 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 11:43 am
@izzythepush,

The latter, I imagine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 01:22 pm
Hard to tell from here, speaking as a californian. I remember being really put off about the maid's treatment when I first read the story. Probably tricky to prove.
But a hand from above intervening could happen, I suppose. I'm fairly doubtful on that, though.
0 Replies