Non-friend with no mutual friends appearing first on search

fbquery

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:01 am
Hi all!

I was inserting a name on the search bar the other day. We don't have any mutual friends and we are not and never been friends or contacted each other. I've never tried searching the name until yesterday, when the person I was looking for appeared first on my search- it automatically sent me to their profile! How can that be? There are a few profiles under the same name but fb knew exactly who I was looking for, though no mutual friends etc. Any reason how it happened? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,070 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:05 am
@fbquery,
FB guards its search algorithms like state secrets. However, it's likely that the cookies collected from both of you created inferences that you had some things in common. E. g. if you claim to be a Rockies fan and the other person says they work at Colorado State University, a reasonable inference can be made that you both have connections to Colorado.
fbquery

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:13 am
@jespah,
Thanks, it is highly unlikely though as I doubt if any common interests, don't live in the same place and originally from different countries etc. Nothing in common. Could it be because of searches made on the other side's end?.... I guess its easier to find me as I have unusual name.
Thanks again!
jespah

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:50 am
@fbquery,
You'd be surprised what people have in common. And, yes, it can be from searches as well.

Don't be shocked at what info is collected; there is information collected (and not just by FB) on many of the keystrokes we make online.
0 Replies