I'm off to Provence tomorrow and

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 02:58 pm
@Mame,
Marseille? There's only one thing to eat......

Bouillabaisse!

(num num num)

Recipe for Osso.....
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/bouillabaisse-recipe/index.html
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:31 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Yea.. I've made attempts at bouillabaise or cioppino in the past, but to do it right is a blow to the wallet. I've never eaten the real thing of either of those, though I've eaten some great fish otherwise (but not in New Mexico).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:37 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We have been to Nimes, Arles, Avignon, Saintes-Maries de la mer, aigues-mortes, tarascon, gaveson, eyragues, st. Andiol, les baux, pont du gard, st. Remy en Provence, la camargues,... And so much more. Saw so many chappelles, chateaux, galleries, bought so much chocolates, honey, wine, salt, rice, you name it ... What a fantastic trip. People are lovely, traffic is do-able, and the weather has been gorgeous.

I do not envy you at all.

Wait...lemme try that again: I don't really envy you...

...ahhh...one more shot.

I...do....not...

...ahhh screw it.

I envy the hell out of you, Mame.

Continue to have a great time...and allow us to get some vicarious joy out of it.

Damn. Sounds great. Even better than golf.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:09 pm
Woke up at 4:00', got up at 5:00, came downstairs to see if there was any coffee. No. Not till 8:00... The grumpy concierge told me, " Vieux Porte", so I headed that way. Found an all night bar but they don't serve coffee until later, kept walking and found a pizza joint which had my cafe creme... 2 E. Okay, thanks! Walked back with it am sitting on the patio. We went to a fancy restaurant last night, Le Julien. He had duck, I had rabbit. We each got some fancy potatoes with cream and cheese, and a bottle of Roussane - yum. It's now 6:10 and we plan to leave at 7:00 for the airport which is 25 km away. The traffic here is like New York so we need time. At least I can get coffee there. Sad to go home, but looking forward to seeing my dogs and giving out my gifts.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 11:52 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
... some fancy potatoes with cream and cheese ...
Which could be Gratin Dauphinois, or Aligot , or Tartiflette ...

Have a good flight!
Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:11 am
@Mame,
Phooey that the trip is over. Good that it was good.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:55 pm
Arles is one of my favourite places in France - so much to see in a not-too-big town. Pencilled in for my next trip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 02:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Or someone read and used Paul Bocuse's recipe, gratin de pommes de terre au lait - I don't know what category that would be.

I made it just this week, easy, but used a cheese he wouldn't have.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 03:11 am
You hopefully got your coffee and returned home, tired but safely, Mame!

Mame wrote:
..oh, and real Parmesan cheese blocks at a fraction of the cost in Canada...I probably should have bought more.
Just as a matter of personal interest: I've just bought some Parmigiono Reggiano DOP 30 mesi at the supermarket (that's parmesan, Denominazione di Origine Protetta, riped 30 months minimum) ... the kilo for 21.30 Euros.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:57 am
I've always wanted to see the lavender fields in bloom in provence, but I think our timing is off (June next year).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s403x403/1393428_10151643681710658_1228563015_n.png
0 Replies