I woke up at 2:30 AM and can't get back to sleep

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:42 am
This is most annoying, I have a lot to do today and my sleep pattern is screwing things up. I hate when this happens.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 6,338 • Replies: 29
No top replies

vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:49 am
@glitterbag,
Hate it when it happens to me - and that is a lot of the time! I'm an insomniac and often wake in the wee small hours. This morning it was 3.30am - so it's been a long day already and I'm tired out.

I can never understand how I go to bed feeling utterly exhausted, fall asleep easily, then wake fully after three or four hours. Every few days I seem to have one night where I get six or seven nights' sleep, but it isn't enough.
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:50 am
@vonny,
Oops - typical post from me - I meant six or seven HOURS' sleep, of course Embarrassed
roger

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:53 am
@vonny,
Sounds like you need to be getting more sleep, if ya ask me.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:55 am
@vonny,
Relax vonny, lack of sleep causes a lot of problems. Can you take a nap? It's almost 5 AM, I think I'm going to go check my eyelids for holes, I NEED SOME SLEEP, arrrggggggg.
Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:04 am
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:06 am
@glitterbag,
Would you like me to sing you to sleep, gb?

I won pub singer of the year in 1975, and they love me doing a turn down at the Army and Navy Club for the hard of hearing.

OK.....Settle yourself down and think of nice things while I gently serenade you.....

Ahem......

Some - WHERRRRRE ahoe-ver tha harainBOWWW
A-WAYYYYYY up ahighEEEEE
A-there's aaaaàaa halland dat I a-dream OVVVVV-aaaa
Ha-once in a lullabyEEEEE

Would you like the second verse?
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:17 am
@glitterbag,
I've never been able to take a nap in the daytime - don't think I'm ever that relaxed! Twisted Evil

Do you often have sleepless nights, or is this a one-off for you?

saab

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:35 am
Hey is it the weather???
I woke up at 3.30, turned on the radio where there was a diskussion whzy women marry men taller than themselves. The man mentained it is because men are better hunters than women - it i in the jeans - sorry genes - the woman said it is rediculas. In Scandinavia men and women are equal. My question is, why do women still marry taller men?
After getting tired of the discussion I make breakfast and read in bed and had breakfast in bed. Fell asleep around 5.00.
It happens now and then - so first I listen to the radio, thenI make breakfast and take back to bed and read or make crossword puzzle.
I really do not mind ifI sleep or not - as long as I am rested the next morning.
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:52 am
@saab,
Not the weather. Don't really know what it is. I've tried hot baths before bedtime, hot milky drinks, relaxation tapes and cds, yoga ... you name it, I've probably tried it!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 04:08 am
@glitterbag,
now look what you've started.

5 am and I can't sleep...
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 04:11 am
@Rockhead,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 04:49 am
@vonny,
I have no problems to fall asleep and then a sleep deep and relaxing. If I wake up in the middle of the night is usually because I am hungry. So I like to eat something before I go to bed. When... then I like a Danish open sandwich.
My husbond thought what food is concerned I have not yet left the baby stage.
Dinner between 6-7 pm, four hours later a nightcap in form of a Danish sandwich and four hours later light breakfast and four hours later breakfast again.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 07:21 am
@saab,
If I can't sleep or if I wake up in the middle of the night, it usually can be traced back to something I ate or drank the evening before.

I always have a "junker book" or magazine next to my bed to lull me back to sleepy.

Never go on the computer, though . . .
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:29 am
from the BBC
" the myth about the eight-hour sleep "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:41 am
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
So the next time you wake up in the middle of the night, think of your pre-industrial ancestors and relax. Lying awake could be good for you.

What can I say to that! Laughing Good article, but it doesn't solve my problem. I don't worry when I wake up, but I do get jolly tired. Eating before bedtime is something I never do - tried lettuce in sandwiches and various other so-called-soporific food items, but they didn't work. I can't read or listen to the radio because I'd disturb my husband - who sleeps like a log for as many hours as he can get!

It isn't anything new - I've never slept much - but I do feel as if I need sleep more nowadays. I really do feel very tired sometimes - and I hate that feeling.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 10:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Would you like me to sing you to sleep, gb?

I won pub singer of the year in 1975, and they love me doing a turn down at the Army and Navy Club for the hard of hearing.

OK.....Settle yourself down and think of nice things while I gently serenade you.....

Ahem......

Some - WHERRRRRE ahoe-ver tha harainBOWWW
A-WAYYYYYY up ahighEEEEE
A-there's aaaaàaa halland dat I a-dream OVVVVV-aaaa
Ha-once in a lullabyEEE

Would you like the second verse?

That's so lovelyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Snoring sound (the dainty kind). Then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 10:27 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks your Lordship. As they say in cheesy American cop dramas, thanks dude, I owe you a solid.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 10:33 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

I've never been able to take a nap in the daytime - don't think I'm ever that relaxed! Twisted Evil

Do you often have sleepless nights, or is this a one-off for you?

Unfortunately this happens a lot. I normally don't wake up after a few hours, it's falling asleep that's the problem. If I can get 7 or 8 hours of sleep, I still wake up like a zombie. I've never been a morning person, I always stumble around for a few hours before I get fully functional. Mr. Glitterbag springs up before the crack of dawn. I wish I was a morning person like my husband.
vonny

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 02:52 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
If I can get 7 or 8 hours of sleep, I still wake up like a zombie.

You sound just like my husband! When I wake up, my eyes open and I'm wide awake. When my husband wakes, he stumbles around with half-closed eyes for about an hour - says it takes him that long to wake up properly! It took me years to work out that there was absolutely no point at all in asking or telling him anything in the early morning hours - he'd never absorb anything. Best to wait until afternoon when he's fully functional. Rolling Eyes