Gambling for kids

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:07 am
http://quickman.gameological.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/130619_feature_chuckecheeses_cyclonejr.jpg

This is a typical game at kid oriented restaurants. You start the light spinning and then you push a button to stop it (of course the place it actually stops is random). Where the light lands is a number, and you get this amount of tickets redeemable for prizes. Most spaces give you 2 or 3 tickets. There is one space that gives you 500 tickets.

Other than the fact that the normal suggestively dressed women have been replaced with a goofy mouse, how is this any different than a slot machine?

These games have a significant effect on my daughter. I see the adrenaline kick in on her face when the big payout spins by, and I see the impulsive need for her to play one more time (repeatedly), particularly when she feels she almost won (which happens a statistically improbable number of times).

I let my daughter play these games, but I turn them into an economics lesson (it isn't easy being my daughter). We did calculate how much she spent to get a prize, and the looked up the actual price of the price of the prize.

Does anyone else have this reaction to these games? How do you handle them with your children? My daughter points out (in her very articulate manner) that it is just a game.... but it still seems a little inappropriate to have this type of machine marketed to kids for same reason that it is wrong to sell kids scratch tickets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,406 • Replies: 13

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
Yes! We had some real problems with the claw game that seems to be just inside the door at every grocery store. "One more time" was sure to win the prize.

I think I even had a thread about this several years ago and Robert gave me a wonderful briefing on how this all works on brains. It is very much like gambling.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:22 am
@maxdancona,
Here's my old thread on it: http://able2know.org/topic/166660-1
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
In betting shops in the UK there are roulette slot machines where you can stake up to £500 in one go. They've been called the crack cocaine of gambling, and there are calls to ban them, these have fallen on deaf ears.

Gambling, other than the odd lottery ticket, and an occasional punt on the Grand National, is one of the few vices I don't have, so I can't really appreciate the damage they do, but I believe it's a lot.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 09:32 am
@boomerang,
That's embarrassing. I posted on that thread, and then forgot about it. It's been a couple of years... My daughter is a little older now, which makes the conversation a little more interesting.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
I play poker. But poker doesn't count as gambling (from my perspective). If there were games of skill for kids with math and strategy, I probably wouldn't have the same reaction.
boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
Your perspective does change as your kids go through these stages and for us it really was just a stage. Mo has never gone back to wanting to play the claw games and he's thankfully outgrown the age where kids want to throw parties at Chuck E. Cheese!

It's a good topic to revisit since we've surely had new members join since then.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 10:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I play poker. But poker doesn't count as gambling

It does when it's a slot machine. I accept that when you're playing against people it's not just down to luck, neither is waging on horses. People can make a living out of both.

I've never played poker for anything other than matchsticks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being judgemental or anything, I've got plenty of my own vices. I've just never been gripped by gambling, I think the most I've ever bet in one go is £5.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I play poker. But poker doesn't count as gambling (from my perspective).
If there were games of skill for kids with math and strategy, I probably wouldn't have the same reaction.
When I was 8,
I won my first handgun, a .38 revolver,
in a poker game with naborhood kids.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 11:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That is such a sweet story David. My daughter is 8.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Got my first real 6-gun;
bought it at the five and dime....
Those were the best days of my life.

("bought it" as in "purchased it")
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
That is such a sweet story David. My daughter is 8.
Thank u. I hope that she is a good shot.
If not, "practice makes perfect."

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:54 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Got my first real 6-gun;
bought it at the five and dime....
Those were the best days of my life.

("bought it" as in "purchased it")
It wud be fun if we cud go back
and re-visit those years. Sometimes, I feel nostalgic.

David
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 08:47 am
@Kolyo,
I see what you did there.
0 Replies