What Will Effect Us To The Greatest Extent?

quinn1

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2002 06:09 pm
Do you believe that global warming, pollution,

destruction of natural resources, <or what?> will have the greatest effect on our lives?

Or perhaps you believe

that we are our own worst enemies. Although we continue to realize and take action on those problems that we do find our

downfall do you think that we will

continue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,641 • Replies: 13
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2002 05:55 pm
I personally

believe that by our own natural instincts as humans we will continue to strive to do our best to do better, and to

preserve.
I have heard many other thoughts however on the topic and hope to know yours as well.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2002 06:11 pm
I think that the

Earth won't be able to sustain the population. Soon there will simply not be enough water etc.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2002 07:28 pm
Well, I certainly

feel better now.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 05:53 pm
Rae...no

kidding!

Craven, interesting....
I think we will continue to develop scientifically to sustain ourselves to the

greatest degree for things like water.

The over population thing, well, that I tend to agree with.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 07:29 pm
I'm sure we have

the technological means to overcome some barriers but am not sure it will be implemented in poorer areas.

We could

easily feed everyone on the planet today but we don't. Farmers are sometimes paid not to plant a crop to maintain stable

prices and sometimes food is destroyed in some countries to achieve the same. This happens while people around the world go

hungry.

There are many solutions to the water problem but I don't see anyone caring about it.

São Paulo

rationed water a few months back and the worst is yet to come.

BTW I don't think the human race will disappear for a

long time. I think we will be the last life form to go (or one of them). We might have some drastic population changes

(namely a bunch of people dying) but then we'll recover.

Many people (like Steven Hawkings) point to space

colonization as our ticket for survival but I don't put any faith in that.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 08:14 pm
I agree that we

waste many more resources than we save, and yes, it is a terrible thing regarding the hunger and massive food stocks.
The

water situation is being worked on but, in such small areas that when it becomes clearer to highly populated areas, and I

belive, until they are greatly affected by such, it wont be worked on in any great aspect.
Yes, we certainly have the

ability to destroy everything living and be the last species to inhabit and in some time the possibility of us being the only

higher species alive is a great possibility. Being human though, and starting now to have at least growing numbers of people

aware and concerned I think is positive and possible for changing, or at least finding some balance for the future.
Space

colonization certainly is an idea, I also put no stock into it for many many years to come.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 05:02 pm
This is really silly, but my Dad used to ask me (when I was very young) what I

thought would come of the world. One of my scenarios was that God would get fed up with the mistakes of humans and just

scrap the whole earth and start over. Instead of laughing at me, Dad commented that maybe that was the reason people

believed in reincarnation or de ja vu.

Told ya it was silly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 08:02 pm
I see climatic changes as the biggest potential problem. I'm not willing to

predict whether the problem will be global warming or global cooling, nor would I go out on a limb and say that man is the

creator of the problem, but the planet has seen hotter periods as well as colder. Much deviation from the present conditions

could be a disaster, and there isn't much we could do about either.
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:26 pm
We are our own Worst enemy.
We will not be able to go on like this for to much longer, something is going to give.
Quote:
what I hope is that it's not the planet, because I think we can overcome almost anything else but the planet suddenly giving up on us, well that a no-way. As for the concept of space travel, well I think it's far in the future
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:43 pm
Rae
Not silly, really..what are we as humans if we cannot think of something to keep us happy even in afterlife? Smile

Roger
The climatic changes of our past very well could be climactic for our future, but since the earth has survived those changes, Im wondering well...it could start all over again without us, and that may not be so terribly bad

Pharon
Weve gone on this far, and realized many of our mistakes, you sound to have no hope at all. I suppose its something to think about however.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:46 pm
I would miss the world as it is quinn. It might not miss me, but I would miss it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:55 pm
We would certianly miss you here!
Okay, so I would miss the world as well, but I figure Im doing my best until the day I go on to other things so, I should know some of it for a while, I hope at least!
0 Replies

DaFlukes

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
I think that there will be an accidental explosion and nuclear waste will be unleashed on the world and/or other explosives will go off and destroy a chunk of the world. There will be an enormous volcano 1/16th the size of Earth which will pur lava out from the nickel core and half the world will be a disfigured smoldering mass. This will tilt the world off balance on its axis and thow it off its course around the sun. We will either have unnaturally long and hot days or incredibly frigid nights. The world will become virtually inhospitable and life will degenerate to the its most primitive origns. Then after millions of years the surviving species will have adapted to te new conditions. These new organisms will build great civilizations that will come to power and then cede to another until the technology is present to dig deep into the earth and analyze the findings. THey will discover ancient civilizations (ours) and dig up wierd arcane artifacts like flat rectangular objects with foreign markings on them, find crude steel objects and reassemble giant temples that scraped the sky, hailing them as 'ruins'.

Perhaps by then an elite few will have made it on another planet and the two planets will have interplanetary trade.

hmmm...it might be fun to live long enough to disprove this theory.

oh well. Perhaps i will be able to observe from above...
hopefully not below! or have a cumulative memory of my past lives.
0 Replies