Can we talk about feminism?

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 09:15 pm
If it's a woman-owned business, then wearing the bikinis to drum up sales is OK.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 12:43 am
I suppose that you Boomer are familiar with my arguement that feminists are in favor of women having choices and self determiniation up till they decide they want something that the feminists dont agree with.....then it becomes " criminalize for their own good".

Garden variety thugery is what it boils down to, then they are of course shocked that young women who think that they should be able to do what ever they want want nothing to do with them.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 02:29 am
I think that this has been an issue in feminism since the 60s, when it became possible for women to choose between being a lap-dancer or a research scientist. Those choices weren't really available before the middle of the 20th century. I think Thomas has made a good point about how feminists split on such issues.

As for the prudery, though, there was more of that in the 50s and 60s than there is now, and i con't think it had anything to do with feminism. Anyway, if the mins saw nekkid wimmins all the time, the issue would pretty much go away by itself.
contrex

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 03:06 am
It wouldn't just be NAACP members who'd probably have a certain feeling about a white-owned, black themed restaurant with n****r minstrels; likewise many people, not just Asians, would dislike Charlie Chong's Chink Diner, or Solly Goldstein's Sheeny Bagel Palace. Saying the people playing the stereotype roles had "made a choice" wouldn't cut it for many people.

There used to be a Hooters franchise in Bristol, UK, (one of two in the country) but it went bust after 18 months. There is another in Nottingham; a reviewer said " “Not impressed, wouldn't go there again - terrible food, grubby feel with an air of embarrassment. I won't be going again and frankly won't be admitting to anyone that I went in the first place.”

The thing is, as Bristolians probably found out, if the selling point is tits, the food isn't likely to be much good.

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 03:59 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
It wouldn't just be NAACP members who'd probably have a certain feeling about a white-owned, black themed restaurant with n****r minstrels

It might be called Uncle Tom's; for the purpose of my argument it wouldn't matter if the owners were white or black.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 07:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As for the prudery, though, there was more of that in the 50s and 60s than there is now, and i con't think it had anything to do with feminism.

I think prudery has the same problem as the word feminism, as hawkeye (of all people) said.

It's high standard, personal integrity, healthy pride etc, when we agree with it....prudery when we don't.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 07:13 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The thing is, as Bristolians probably found out, if the selling point is tits, the food isn't likely to be much good.

I've always wondered what those $3.00 steaks served at strip clubs tasted like.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 07:16 am
@Setanta,
I agree on both your points (oh, and Thomas's take).
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 09:36 am
on a very related front there seems to be a war going on between the anti sex feminists and the pro sex feminists...the main debate being over erotic hunger. the anti sex side has it that men lust for the female body is objectification and thus abuse. according to these killjoys men have to want women for the "right" reasons only. according to the pro sex side the freedom for full sexual exploration along with all personal exploraration is supposed to be what feminism is all about, feminism's mission is the removal of shackles not the application of them.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:01 am
@hawkeye10,
just so we are clear, according to the anti sex feminists allowing these coffee stands to exist is allowing the abuse of women, and the women who want to sign up for this abuse must be saved.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:17 am
@boomerang,
In my opinion, feminism is basically a belief, by men or women, that a woman does not belong, as property, to a male, a race, an ethnic group, but is empowered to be her own person, with whatever goals she prefers to have.

So, the prior century's feeling, by some men, that a male of another race/ethnic group, should not be dating "their women" was antithetical to feminism, since women in those men's eyes were only "their women" (aka, our property).

Similarly, all other women's concerns, from salary equality, to abortion, just are part of the pantheon of issues for a feminist to have an opinion. And, I do not believe it has to be only one opinion, to be a feminist opinion. Meaning, as long as women understand they are not property to be stolen by another tribe, or property to be traded to other families, or property of some male, she is a feminist. Whether a feminist chooses to be a beach bunny in a bikini, or a church lady with long dresses, is just her choice.

Anyway, feminism just falls under the main headline of "women are no one's property."
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:27 am
@Foofie,
women are no ones property, but they must be "educated"....which means manipulated living life the way the feminists in partnership with the state want them to. try being a woman and make up your own mind to stay with a man that the feminist/state has decided abuses you and then you will get an illustration of my point. the state deciding that having sex with a drunk woman is rape is another one. a woman gets to run her own life only up to a point, and that room to maneuver keeps getting smaller as the criminal code book grows.
Foofie

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:39 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

women are no ones property, but they must be "educated"....which means manipulated living life the way the feminists in partnership with the state want them to. try being a woman and make up your own mind to stay with a man that the feminist/state has decided abuses you and then you will get an illustration of my point. the state deciding that having sex with a drunk woman is rape is another one. a woman gets to run her own life only up to a point, and that room to maneuver keeps getting smaller as the criminal code book grows.

I'm really not sure what your point is above?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:54 am
@Foofie,
sorry for over estimating you

here you go:
increasingly the feminist/state partnership has decided that women belong to them, that they will decide how women live.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:57 am
@contrex,
People are happy to pay good money to see the Washington R**skins play football.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:58 am
@contrex,
Quote:

There used to be a Hooters franchise in Bristol, UK, (one of two in the country) but it went bust after 18 months.

snort.
contrex

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

There used to be a Hooters franchise in Bristol, UK, (one of two in the country) but it went bust after 18 months.

snort.

Entirely unintentional.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 11:19 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
In my opinion, what's going on here is an honest disagreement within feminism about the role of sex in the emancipation or suppression of women in society.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

I think it can be either, depending on the circumstances.

Earlier I mentioned the "Blurred Lines" video and the dust up among (some) women about it's portrayal of women. I thought the women seemed fully "emancipated" and couldn't understand why so many people were describing it as "rapey" (and yes, that's the word that's being used -- the song title + rapey brought in over 43,000 hits).

I'm wondering if my perception of such things is "off"....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 11:20 am
@PUNKEY,
It IS a woman owned business.

I'm curious as why that would make a difference though. If it's exploitation does it matter whether it's a man or a woman who is doing the exploiting?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 11:24 am
@hawkeye10,
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, both pro and con. I don't think people who are opposed to bikini baristas are necessarily wrong, I'm just curious as to why some would see it as anti-woman.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:34:06