Mother Killed Sons With Rocks- God's Orders

pistoff

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:01 pm
Housewife Who Killed Sons With Rocks Believed She Was Following God's Order

Ah, them Christians. The religion of peace.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAPICTKLSD.html

TYLER, Texas (AP) - A homemaker who said she was ordered by God to kill her children felt compelled to obey because she believed God would never direct her to do wrong, mental health experts said.

"I don't think she had any choice," psychiatrist William Reid testified.

Attorneys for the defense and the state rested their cases Friday in the trial Deanna Laney. The 39-year-old has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to a charge of capital murder in the deaths of 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke, and serious injury to a child for the beating of Aaron, now 2.

Laney said she smashed her sons' skulls with rocks after getting a sign from God that he wanted her to kill them.

*She was found not guilty for reason of insanity. Sentenced to Mental Institution. Does this mean that all people who claim that God ordered them to do something whether good or bad are INSANE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,041 • Replies: 36
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:10 pm
Re: Mother Killed Sons With Rocks- God's Orders
I think the woman was just crazy. I think it's more a psychotic episode than having to do with religion or Christianity. There's nut cases in every religion. And yes I think the verdict was the right one. Let her spend the rest of her life in a mental institution. At least she'll be locked up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
Yep - delusions will form themselves around the topography of a culture, like perverse pearls around a grain of sand.

It is unfair to blame the particular grain.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:42 pm
I was going to say what Dlowan said.

Albeit in a much, much less eloquent way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:47 pm
Make ya smile, toots? lol
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
Make ya smile, toots? lol

No.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:55 pm
yer fibbin'...

But I ought not to tease you on such a sad thread...
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:03 pm
dlowan wrote:
yer fibbin'...

But I ought not to tease you on such a sad thread...

Meh, innocent people die everyday all over the world in equally grisly - or even worse - circumstances.

See: The practice of killing female offspring, popular in India and China.

God is awesome like that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm
Don't make each incidence less sad...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:45 am
Sounds like a psychotic episode with command hallucinations (that's when the voices tell you to DO something). The woman belongs in a padded room!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
If it WAS exactly that, the woman belongs in secure care, on good medication.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:10 am
Why does everyone assume that Laney was crazy? Maybe God really did tell her to kill her kids. Bible history shows that he has a record of ordering children to be slaughtered (Isaac, for instance), or doing it himself:

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" ... do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the Lord show utter contempt, the son born to you will die" (Nathan to David, 2Samuel 12:13-15)

Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; men and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds of the air were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark. (Genesis 7:22)

The Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country. (Exodus 11:10) ... At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all of the animals as well. (Exodus 12:29)

Then Joshua and all Israel with him turned around and attacked Debir. They took the city, its king and its villages, and put them to the sword. Everyone in it they totally destroyed. They left no survivors. ... So Joshua subdued the whole region, ... He left no survivors. He totally destroyed all who breathed, just as the LORD, the God of Israel, had commanded. (Joshua 10:38-40)

Samuel said to Saul, "This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys" (1 Samuel 15:3)

Can anyone can prove that God did NOT tell her to kill her kids?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:12 am
Oh boy...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:14 am
Nah - but I canna prove Craven does not have that pesky giant ball, or the money hungry dwarf, either. However, in the absence of good reason to believe, I choose not to.

I DO hope you don't think you have a god telling you to do weird stuff, Terry!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:32 am
I don't Deb, but who am I to judge the veracity of belief of others?

Would a God who had his own son killed have any problem with telling people to kill theirs?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
I don't believe in that god, Terry
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:54 am
Correction
According to the New Testament God directed Jesus to commit suicide. Jesus wasn't real thrilled with the idea but set up the scenerio and the Pharasees and Romans helped him out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:07 am
The child that "survived" is the one that hurts me more than anything.

Well, I suppose by the time a dog can tell someone to kill........................
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:23 am
Terry: I was thinking the exact same thing. After all, it wouldn't be the first time God has instructed someone to off their kiddies:

[b]Genesis 22:[/b] [1] And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. [2] And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. [3] And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. [4] Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off. [5] And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you, [6] And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together. [7] And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? [8] And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together. [9] And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood. [10] And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son. [11] And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. [12] And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me. [13] And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

Had not the angel stayed Abraham's hand, Isaac would have been just as dead as Deanna Laney's sons. Yet Abraham is revered as a patriarch while Laney is locked up in the looney bin. So how do we know that Abraham wasn't just as nuts as Laney?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Joe, one also wonders why angels did not stay Jephthah's hand when he sacrificed his daughter to the Lord to fulfill his vow. (Judges 11)

Perhaps the question should be: Crazy or Godly - what's the difference?
0 Replies