and, no. It's not just a feeling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 15
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:00 pm
letty : one needs to read about that kind of peace more often. having just had a look at the thread : " Chiraq bans Muslim head scarves in State Schools " again, i felt discouraged. there seems to be great difficulty for people to understand each other. personally, i really don't think people should be restricted in what they are wearing, but i also think people should exercise restraint and try to avoid offending others. it seems to me that quite often misunderstandings arise, simply because people can't or won't communicate with each other. the way i see it,it would help if muslims would say : "look, we are wearing headscarfes, but we are not wearing them to offend other people. it's been our custom for a long time; please don't take offence. " . similarly people wearing crosses and any other emblems could say the same. just like some people prefer to wear ties with their shirts and others prefer not to wear ties, it makes no difference to me(i know to some people there is is a difference between wearing a tie and a cross or headscarf). of course, if people want to make a point and try to convince others that their way is the better and superior way , that's when they loose my respect. ... how to get the two opposing groups (in whatever setting) to simply acknowledge each other and say : "he, it's o.k. , wear and do what makes you happy, but please exercise some restraint and things will be fine". (there really should be no need to remind anyone , should there be ?) unfortunately a look in the daily paper show that too many people have no regard nor respect for other people and their way of life - sad isn't it ? ... just want to thank you for giving us something peaceful and uplifting to read (it should not offend anyone, i would think, but we'll see). hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:29 pm
hamburger, I have certain thoughts that flash upon "my inward eye". They involve the settling of the soul that defies explanation. So many things, do. I think, perhaps, it has more to do with who we were when....understand?

Hamburger, (have to smile at your handle) I became so weary of those who rail against "peace"...of course we all have misgivings about stuff. But often there comes a calm that cannot be justified nor scientifically explained. It is at this time in our lives that questioning is healthy.

See you made it through the flu. Very Happy As did I.

I found a tiny lapel pin that I thought had been lost. It was a guardian angel pin. I sent it via the charge nurse at the hospital where my son hangs in limbo. Just the willingness of someone, obviously ethnic, to repeat my words to him, was a promise that he kept in spite of his faith. Now that's my kind of "love"....my kind of peace.

As we approach the passover--Easter--whatever, I find that my heart is exactly where it should be--on my sleeve.

and when I see, hear, your daughter, I know that you and your wife have done something right.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:41 pm
Pretty cool stuff there Letty Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
husker, cool? Well, my friend. Everyone has his own brand of "peace"...in the pattern of the puzzle. As I recall, the founding fathers labeled Patrick Henry as a radical, and it is the radicals, the lunatic fringe, who effect the dynamics....and it is the stalwarts who keep the elliptical sphere turning with balance. Goodnight, my cyber friends.

From Letty in Florida
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:32 pm
letty : thank you for your words of peace ! i'm not a "religious" kind of person, so i don't know if i find the right words and message for you ... but i do wish and hope that both you and your son will find peace and strength and LOVE ! PEACE ! hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
Hamburger and husker. Religion really has not a lot to do with my thread. It has more to do with a type of spiritual insight.

There is not one person on this forum who has not experienced a type of epiphany at sometime in his life. It could be that it came through a work of art; the total adoration and trust of a pet; the excitement of someone else's good fortune; listening to or performing music, whatever the genre.

I got an update on a thread today in which I became unexplainably angry. I looked at what I had written, and wondered why in the world I had said what I said.

Good morning.
from Florida
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:06 am
letty : " There is not one person on this forum who has not experienced a type of epiphany at sometime in his life. It could be that it came through a work of art; the total adoration and trust of a pet; the excitement of someone else's good fortune; listening to or performing music, whatever the genre." how true ! at least we must hope that all people have had that kind of experience at least in their lifetime. but sometimes i wonder ... and i become just a little bit discouraged; but usually something will happen ... music, the happy face of a dog, a kind act by someonne i don't even know and i feel that there is hope for the world after all . hbg on a chilly morning - with snow in the forecast - from eastern ontario; but the daffodils and tulips are poking their heads through the soil nevertheless - there is hope for spring.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
<smile> Yes, my friend. Always hope for daffodils and such.

When I was a kid, I watched religiously for that red, red robin to come bob bob bobbin' along. That meant I could wade in a stream...and I did no matter how cold it was.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
letty : mrs. h and just came back from a walk along the shore of lake ontario; the wind was damp and biting, snow started to fall (where is spring ?), but the air blowing in from the lake still had a softness about it. when we came home, the neighbour's dog came running over; she offered her paw for a shake, rolled on to her back ready for a good bellyrub, smiled at us and received her treat. simple things can be quite wonderful. hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
hamburger, the last dog that I had was an American Eskimo. Very Happy
He got killed and I swore that I would never get another pet. Yes, small miracles happen every day.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
I discovered something very useful.

If you think of 'you', the person everybody sees, as a player in a game, and the you inside as the controller, then life suddenly becomes interesting. It's not about being hurt when things go wrong, it's about thinking,"Oops!" and getting your player back on track. The inner you doesn't really care if right at that moment something a bit sad happens, because it won't affect the player in the long run.

I turned this into a bit of a game with myself where you also earn points by doing things that make the other players smile, and lose them by making the other players feel sad. It's so much better to be the 'controller' - you can have the fun without getting too wrapped up in things.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Thank you, seeker. Your post is reminiscent of something someone told me so long ago. Unfortunately, I no longer keep score, but I understand what you're saying.

Often, without rhyme or reason, the "peace" of which I spoke comes from nowhere in particular, and that is what makes it a beautiful enigma.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
IS IT MY TIME ? I ASK
NO NOT YET A WHILE
JUST A REHEARSAL
EASE YOUR MIND,
YOU'VE STILL A LITTLE WAY TO GO,
THE SILENT VOICE REPLIES.

I lay in silence on my bed
abstract thoughts in my head
stars adorn the winter sky
a full moon looks me in the eye

A distant voice is calling out
the Sandman is he still about
but tonight its not the same
another form has changed the game

Instead of someone's robes of white
a man in robes of blackened leather
stands & smiles beside my bed
now reaching deep inside my head

He speaks with silent words of love
from within his robes there flies a dove
tis time that you saw pastures new
so ride with me The Journeyman

The pain I feel from 3 score years
wanes like strident music from my ears
relaxing, drifting into peacefull climes
golden sands and bells that chime
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
oldandknew, John.

As always, I am transformed by your poetic philosophy.
Yours is not a glooming peace. It's the forged steel of all who speak of love and death, whether it be trippingly on the tongue, or solid language of the street.

Thank you, my British friend.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
I like this discussion it is peaceful and makes me feel peaceful. :wink:
0 Replies