Is whisky your poison?

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:14 am

What's your brand? Do you spell it with that pesky "e"? If size doesn't matter, then how about proof? Or does size and proof matter to you? Wink

Sturgis

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Of course I spell whiskEy with the E. wouldn't look right to me without it.

I only drank whiskey for a short time (6 or 7 years...maybe 10), couldn't really abide the taste or the after effects the next day. Clearly there was but one alternative and I moved on to gin. Gin at least gave me some cheerful moments for a time and the following day never was a problem.

As my drinking escalated, I found that gin went well with various juices which meant I could maintain some basic level of health as I was moving towards drinking all day. Gin also went well with Sprite soda and on it's own appeared to only be water. As long as I didn't speak or attempt walking nobody was the wiser (unless I suddenly keeled over, which I did a few times. Likely that happened because the Earth was shifting positions Rolling Eyes ).

Eventually, gin turned on me Mad and made me irrational and of unknown temperament- I'd be happy as a clam one second and ready to demolish a person the next. Clearly this juniper berry juice was causing trouble.

What to do, what to do? I decided beer chasers Drunk Drunk Drunk with the gin was the natural answer. You can guess what happened next.

Yeah, I had to give it all up and have now survived quite nicely for several years without. Don't even miss it 94% of the time. I refer to the gin of course. Never at all do I miss whiskey, I only drank that at the start because it was free. For those who can drink, good going! Enjoy.

As for brand, I generally went for highest proof and lowest cost (I was a frugal drunk since a school teacher doesn't earn enough for quality liquid to induce d.t.s)
tsarstepan

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:34 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I only drank whiskey for a short time (6 or 7 years...maybe 10)

So? You were 6 or 7 to maybe 10 years old when you were a whiskey drinker? Very precocious. Surprised Wink

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm
I like whiskey, but after watching that video, I'm afraid that one of its possible side-effects is that it turns whiskey drinkers into insufferable pricks.
tsarstepan

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 03:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I like whiskey, but after watching that video, I'm afraid that one of its possible side-effects is that it turns whiskey drinkers into insufferable pricks.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4h578Qfea1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:38 pm
I've liked some whisky and whiskey and never manage to remember which comes from where, much less which islands or states matter (somewhat kidding). I can not longer afford the good stuff of either of them, probably just as well.

On my death bed, do I want a Talisker or a Laphroig? Probably neither, so I demand them beforehand.
Pearlylustre

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Whiskey is my sometimes poison. When I lived in Japan in the 1980's there were bars which served nothing else and I developed a taste for it then. I rarely buy it as my family has trouble thinking of any christmas or birthday presents for my husband other than whiskey. So I don't have a particular brand and never notice whether there's an e or not. If I was buying it myself I'd probably go with Johnnie Walker - always seems smooth. I only drink it straight. My husband drinks it with hot water which I think is quite disgusting. I don't like ice either - I can't drink watery whiskey.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:12 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I found that gin went well with various juices which meant I could maintain some basic level of health

oh....my.....god.

thank you sturgis, for my new signature line. that is magnificent.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:53 pm
I like whisky...neat with a drop or two of water.

It's the divil though because it's, alas, poison.

Aside from the pesky addiction aspect of other drugs, they don't leave you with a hangover.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Ahh Talisker...so peaty
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 02:01 am
I don't drink whisky, not since I was 17 and drank way too much. My father is a single malt man, but really has no time for anything that's not Scottish. I think it's more emotional than anything. I once spent quite a bit of money on a Japanese whisky that had won a lot of prizes but he couldn't see beyond the label, and would have preferred something Scottish and a lot cheaper.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 9 Aug, 2013 10:03 pm
@chai2,
Glad that you like it so much and truly honored that you will be using it. Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 06:00 am
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:17 pm
I rarely drink. Drinking is just not my thing.. but when I do I like some right from the freezer. Right now its Woodford reserve..
Thomas

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Never been big on Whiskey. Nothing particularly wrong with it; I just prefer Cognac and Armagnac.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:42 pm
Sophisticated cat is sophisticated.

http://i.qkme.me/3s0af9.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:09 pm
@shewolfnm,
A fine burbon but you really shouldn't chill it.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Aug, 2013 04:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Right now I'm enjoying a glass of slivovitz.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 6 Sep, 2013 11:03 pm
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/9/6/13/enhanced-buzz-11036-1378490379-17.jpg

40 Pictures That Show Just How Much The World Has Changed
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/pictures-that-show-just-how-much-the-world-has-changed
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 7 Sep, 2013 12:21 am
I normally go for Rye, Bulleit and Ri mostly.

1. Forums
  2. » Is whisky your poison?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:30:07