Why this fascination with super heroes?

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 11:29 pm
I almost never miss the opening of a Superman, Iron Man, Bat Man, or (insert favorite hero here) movie. Why are these movies generally so successful?

jkimbo

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 12:03 am
@neologist,
I certainly would not know. I find them silly and boring and unbelievable. I prefer Quentin Tarantino movies Smile
MGSfan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 04:41 am
@neologist,
People love heros,people love those who are willing to die to help and save people wether or not they are unrealistic or real life heros peope deep down inside always wished that they were heros not super heros but still heros
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:19 am
I never go to movies. I only watch PBS on TV. It is so much better to go to the opera or stay home and read Nietzsche.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Wow, a can of Lone Star and a steaming conversation about Verdi. Be still my heart

I find mot of the Superhero movies boring and childish. Tarantino and Coen Bros. Movies with actual plots and story lines.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 05:33 am
@neologist,
Escapism.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:11 am

Superhero movies are just an extension of comic books.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:27 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
I almost never miss the opening of a Superman, Iron Man, Bat Man, or (insert favorite hero here) movie. Why are these movies generally so successful?

For me it's because in most cases this seems to be about as close to good science fiction as Hollywood can get. I go to these things expecting to get some vacuous but fun entertainment, which in most cases I get. But I also continually hope for something deeper and with more sci-fi ideas. Usually I'm disappointed along those lines.

But the bulk of the population that supports these movies are teenage boys so I suspect that the fascination is mostly tied to testosterone dreams.
neologist

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:09 am
@rosborne979,
You must be right about the teenage thing.
I never go alone; always with a grandson or three.
But I look forward to the action as much as the granfatherly fellowship.
Of course, if Iron Man isn't playing, there's always 007
Bourne, or some other mind numbing thriller.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 07:50 pm
@neologist,
We like to imagine the fantastic. Always have; always will.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 03:08 pm
I think testosterone is one answer. Maybe females enjoy that also. People want easy answers. Clearly defined good and bad guys. I just saw Life of Pi. Amazing visuals. Great story.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 04:17 pm
@jkimbo,
jkimbo wrote:
I certainly would not know. I find them silly and boring and unbelievable. I prefer Quentin Tarantino movies Smile
I believe in the willing suspension of disbelief.

Wait! What the heck did I just say?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 04:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
PBS, Good
Opera, Good. Wife likes it, especially.
Nietzsche? Gesundheit!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 04:49 pm
@neologist,
I practice yoga while reading Nietzsche. It saves time which I use to practice Japanese ink painting.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:47 pm
Today's super-heroes are simply an extension of yesterday's mythical heroes.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Even Banana Man?

http://i2.listal.com/image/681709/600full-bananaman-screenshot.jpg
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Even the B-Man
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:07 pm
@neologist,
Maybe comic book superheroes remind us of the simple pleasures of fantasizing about ingenuity daydreams.

Here's a basic comic book fable:

Three comic book villains, Poison Ivy (a terrorist who wields eco-toxins as weapons), Serpentor (a supermutant with dangerous strength), and Video-Man (an electricity creature who moves like a computer virus) plan an elaborate scheme to subvert America's democratic marketing of Nike sports shoes so as to create a dominion about mercantile terror.

To challenge this anti-social scheme, the comic book hero Aquaman (a superhuman whose special appreciation of water makes him incredibly agile) devises a scheme to work with Nike to market a special waterproof sport shoe so runners can run with ease even if it rains. This marketing strategy will help Aquaman promote mercantile products in America as representative of consumerism fitness.

When Aquaman is confronted by Poison Ivy, Serpentor, and Video-Man when they are threatened by the successes of the new special Nike waterproof sport shoe, he responds that if the people want the waterproof shoe, then denying them the right to purchase it simply proves the notion that anti-social villains are fascists and not philosophers.

Aquaman wins the argument and the Nike waterproof sport shoe becomes a modern symbol of consumerism optimism.
neologist

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:21 pm
@Abishai100,
Conversely, Super Puma and his new bride Adidas succeed in
their plot to sell the goo shoe
0 Replies