Slovakia Election

Thok

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:26 am
Voters in Slovakia, in March EU-member, are going to the polls to elect a new president.

BBC News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 535 • Replies: 4
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
As promised:

http://www.statistics.sk/struk/volby.htm

Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic website on past elections, results, lists of parties, sometimes some graphs or explanations ...

Kinda erratic tho - i mean, the numbers it lists are all correct, I'm sure, but for some elections you get more (or very different) info than for others ... and there's quite a few 404s ("page not found"). Annoying.

Should you happen to be interested in the nitty-gritty I could email detailed tables and maps of the election results from 1990-1998, in percents and seats, small parties too, regional distribution, opinion polls ... (part of my thesis)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm
Former Prime Minister Vladimir Meciar has won the first round of presidential elections.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3595853.stm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 12:00 am
Incorrigable. Still, I'm more surprised by Gasparovic's result than by Meciar's, actually.

Meciar has always had a solid bedrock of key support. His problem is reaching beyond that.

In the nineties he solved that by entering alliances with parties, from either the far right or the far left, that would get him a majority. But since he invariably ends up fighting with them, he's ended up with ever less options in that regard - like, it became Everyone vs Meciar.

That he's returned doesnt surprise me - his demise has been predicted as often as he has resurrected. But that he got 33% and Gasparovic another 22% - hm.

Dagmar, what do you think - I dont know how Gasparovic relates to other parties nowadays - will the government parties reluctantly join an anyone-but-meciar campaign?
0 Replies