Applicant with Unusual behavior

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:08 pm
@Baldimo,
That works too!
0 Replies

hmgoodale

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:31 am
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Roberta hits the "unusual" behavior the most as uncharacteristic of an applicant. As a seasoned HR Manager with a PHR, I don't need advice on interview techniques. Thanks anyway though. Behavior of an applicant has a direct impact on perception of their personality and fit into your organizational culture. We won't be basing this behavior on whether she gets a call back or not, I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered the same or if possibly someone trained in behavioral analysis could enlighten me. I might be in the wrong forum. Thanks anyway everyone. I appreciate your candid responses and your time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:15 pm
@hmgoodale,
Most of us who have worked in management don't make mountains out of mole hills.

You're a HR manager, and you use gut feelings? WOW!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As a former technical writer (not in management) every single interview I've ever had was with multiple people. In fact, almost everyone I have known who has had job interviews has had multiple interviews with their prospective jobs.

Here's another surprise, I recently interviewed for a part time job at Target supermarket and I interviewed with 3 people...this was for a minimum wage job.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:50 pm
@Ragman,
Things seems to have changed since I retired in 1998; that's 15 years ago. Equivalent to about two lifetimes the way I measure time. Mr. Green

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry, but it was the same sort on interview dynamics in the '80s - '90s as it is now, in that respect. My tech writing and computer professional career extends from the '80s through 2007. Perhaps this is an east coast vs west coast cultural difference. Things in general are done decidedly more by the book by employers in the northeast vs so So Calif.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:20 pm
@Ragman,
My interviews were usually performed by two people; a CEO and one board member when I worked for corporations. I also worked for a sole proprietor who owned several businesses, and after a couple of years with him, I asked if I could put him on a fee basis so I could do consulting work. I computerized his business, and established a standard cost system for his stores. I also advised him to develop a large property he owned in Cupertino, and now leases his building to Apple Computer. He said okay, and my income bloomed dramatically after that. I bought income property, and partnered with several other people to buy a condo at Incline Village at Lake Tahoe.

When I worked in management, we let managers interview their own prospective employees, but when we interviewed for management positions, several managers participated in the interviews. I also taught managers interviewing techniques that I learned by attending a seminar. Also taught managers how to process performance evaluations. Most managers hated to give their workers poor evals.

0 Replies