Religious and Atheist.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:31 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
I also found interesting the assertion that the majority of atheists are the so-called "weak" atheists--those who do not assert that there is no god, but who just don't believe it.

Would that not be an agnostic?

Atheist - Believes (asserts) there is no god or God.

Agnostic - Does not believe one way or the other.

Theist - Does believe.

Haven't we kicked this around a few times before?

You don't need the word 'agnostic' because that is just a 'weak' form of atheist - as explained in the quote. You are either a theist or you're not and if you're not you're an atheist. Simply abandoning the belief in god/s is all that is required to be an atheist it makes the term agnostic redundant.

Was that written on a tablet and given by god to Moses...or did you just make it up?

And why have you decreed that just abandoning the belief in a god makes one an atheist.

I have no belief in gods...AND I AM NOT AN ATHEIST.
missconduct

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:37 am
@Logicus,
Well, I have noticed the regular posters (that aren't proselytizing) are of greater intellect.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 12:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have no belief in gods...

That's my definition of a weak atheist. A person lacking a belief in gods is an atheist... IMO.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
I don't know if you've kicked it around, but you obviously have an ideosyncratic and probably unexamined definition of atheist. Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive terms. I suggest that you look up "weak atheist," as well as implicit and skeptical atheist. The agnostic fanatics like Frank and the theists will certainly agree with your silly definitions.
neologist

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:17 pm
@Setanta,
True, but the example set by the Ethical group is perfect rebuttal to the assertion that atheists might be evil or immoral.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:21 pm
@neologist,
Yeah, i was just pointing out that it is likely that people don't mention it because atheists are not, by and large, proselytizers. They don't care if anyone agrees with them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 03:03 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I have no belief in gods...

That's my definition of a weak atheist. A person lacking a belief in gods is an atheist... IMO.

Well...that may be...but unless you can convince me that you have the final say, I am going to laugh at the idea.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 03:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
I also found interesting the assertion that the majority of atheists are the so-called "weak" atheists--those who do not assert that there is no god, but who just don't believe it.

Would that not be an agnostic?

Atheist - Believes (asserts) there is no god or God.

Agnostic - Does not believe one way or the other.

Theist - Does believe.

Haven't we kicked this around a few times before?

I certainly agree with you, Frank. Of course, people like Setanta won't. But that is almost confirmation that your are correct.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 03:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's your prerogative... enjoy!
igm

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 03:24 pm
@igm,
Weak atheism vs. agnosticism

What's the difference between weak atheism and agnosticism?

Strong atheism = All gods are nonexistent.

Weak atheism = I just don't "believe" in any gods but find some evidence and I'll consider it.

Agnosticism = I don't "know" if any gods exist, so I'll reserve judgement.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:11 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Weak atheism vs. agnosticism

What's the difference between weak atheism and agnosticism?

Strong atheism = All gods are nonexistent.

Weak atheism = I just don't "believe" in any gods but find some evidence and I'll consider it.

Agnosticism = I don't "know" if any gods exist, so I'll reserve judgement.

So I am an agnostic.

If weak atheists want to call themselves weak atheists...fine with me.

In a sense, we are all agnostics...and I prefer to stick with that and not go further.

Of late, I have turned to the term "non-theist" which can easily describe both self-described atheists (of all stripe) and self-described agnostics.

Most of the self-described atheists I know in the non-cyber world are VERY strong atheists. Most of the self-described atheists I know on the Internet are weak atheists.

Me...if I have to choose only from atheist, strong atheist, weak atheist or agnostic...I will self-describe myself as an agnostic.

By the way...I have actually described my self-agnosticism in detail many tiems. I will stand by that.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
By the way...I have actually described my self-agnosticism in detail many tiems. I will stand by that.

I do like how you have described yourself but I do have to say that I have never met another agnostic that believes that anything is possible.

I wonder if this may be a unique type of agnosticism that deserves a special name.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

I do like how you have described yourself but I do have to say that I have never met another agnostic that believes that anything is possible.

I wonder if this may be a unique type of agnosticism that deserves a special name.

Not sure what you are saying here, RL.

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:28 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
I'm am not an atheist, Log.

I believe in the sun Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 04:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I'm saying that you may have a special type of agnosticism because you think that anything is possible.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

I'm saying that you may have a special type of agnosticism because you think that anything is possible.

You gotta be kidding me.

Some theists think anything is possible; some atheists think anything is possible; some agnostics think anything is possible.

What are you saying?

In any case, MY AGNOSTICISM is a special type of agnosticism...which I have mentioned and clarified dozens upon dozens of times. I doubt you will find two agnostics who agree on all areas of their agnosticism...just as I doubt you will find two theists who agree on all areas of their theism...and just as I doubt you will find two atheists who agree on all areas of their atheism.

So what is your point?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
MY AGNOSTICISM:

I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are gods; I do not know if there are no gods; I see no reason to suspect gods cannot exist; I see no reason that suggests gods are needed to explain existence; I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

You gotta be kidding me.

Some theists think anything is possible;

Do any of them think that the devil could have created God?

Quote:
some atheists think anything is possible;

Do you know of one that makes this claim?

Quote:
some agnostics think anything is possible.

This does seem to be true because we know of at least one. Wink
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:41 pm
Given that atheists of all descriptions come to that from a position of skepticism, i seriously doubt that there are any atheists who believe that anything is possible. In fact, i find it childish and naïve to assert that there is anyone who thinks that anything is possible.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
i find it childish and naïve to assert that there is anyone who thinks that anything is possible.

You must not know Frank very well?