Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:25 am
@Logicus,
Notatall
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:24 pm
Has anyone suggested we may have a God given conscience?
Logicus

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:16 pm
@neologist,
"God-given conscience?" Please elaborate.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:49 pm
I don't think we, or any of the other animals would have survived without an inate sense of morality.

Morality is certainly naturally occuring.
neologist

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 04:56 pm
@Logicus,
See Blue's post just between us
Logicus

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 05:06 pm
@neologist,
Ah, that's what you meant.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

I don't think we, or any of the other animals would have survived without an inate sense of morality.

I'd like to better state what I've written. Morality is innate in that it is instinctual. Sense come to play when humans think about it.
neologist

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 04:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

I'd like to better state what I've written. Morality is innate in that it is instinctual. Sense come to play when humans think about it.
It may be that our only difference lies in our understanding of the source of innate morality.
mark noble

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:11 pm
@neologist,
Why would they?
Cop-out clause?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
Stop typing CRAP!
neologist

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 12:14 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Stop typing CRAP!
Those who resort to personal attack admit to having lost the argument.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 08:03 am
@dalehileman,
No, it isn't a skiding scale to my knowledge. There are quite a number of myths and stories where someone is deceived into eating his or her own children, and that's always considered the most awful thing...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 08:07 am
@Logicus,
Quote:
I usually attribute the disgust of eating your own children against natural instinct.

Not a bad thing to do, but instinct is the basis for natural morality, and a pretty absolute basis.
Logicus

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 01:12 pm
@Olivier5,
Instinct also can be attributed to savagery.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 03:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

It may be that our only difference lies in our understanding of the source of innate morality.

Or at least thinking that we understand the source of our innate morality.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 03:59 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Stop typing CRAP!

HA!
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 08:03 pm
@mwurgler,
I think the reason for morals is how they affect our life in the present. It seems to me that acting in an immoral way causes unhappiness in the perpetrator. I can't say if that applies to everyone. I don't have their experiences. What you describe is survival of the fittest only. Only animalistic instincts apply. Your question is a good one. Is all this morality business made up? The question is, is guilt a natural experience?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 08:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
So, undercutting segregation was wrong?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 01:35 am
@Logicus,
Associated with savagery, yes, If you take "savage" in the original sense of: "not domesticated". Instincts are great survival assets and they include many things from tit-sucking to fear of snakes or blood. IMO they also include a sense of natural morality, which is the basis for any form of cultural morality. The first is as close to a moral absolute as you will get, and includes protection for children and helping people in need (to the extent that it doesn't cost the helper much). The second is more variable.
0 Replies