The great Cilantro Shortage of 2013...

Mame

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Parsley was supposedly used in Medieval times as a breath freshener. Cilantro, I'm not big into, but I grow both because you can't cook Thai or Mexican (to name but two) without it. And parsley, I'm meh about. But I grow it. This year it's the flat leafed Italian variety.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lots of people eat parsley, and like cilantro, I can't understand why. Maybe they like the feeling of having there tonsils tickled, though endive works better if that's your thrill. According to legend, parsley is good for people with bad breath. Quite sure that applies to none of us.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
you can add soap flakes as needed...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:00 am
The end of cilantro? Oh, consummation devoutly to be desired!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:44 am
Erm...that looks an awful lot like Coriander.

Who the heck decided to call it Cilantro.

Had me all confused for a minute.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
See, if you google the correct name (ie the name that the vast majority of the world knows and loves), you will see loads of articles.....

www.dnaindia.com/pune/1850410/report-shortage-of-stock-shoots-up-coriander-price-rs40-bunch

The big debate...
www.everywhereist.com/cilantro-vs-coriander-and-the-verbal-bloodbath-that-ensued/
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:35 am

next step will be Strongly Worded Letter to supermarket's customer service page.

they claim the store still carries it, but we apparently went shopping when it was temporarily out of stock.

that is one large load of horse excrement...
Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:48 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Of course parsley has a taste, and very different from cilantro. Which in my 'hood' we call 'Arabic parsley'.

Perhaps the CIA included it in its rendition programme?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:23 am
@Region Philbis,
I love it when a shop assistant tells me (whilst chewing) "if it ain't on the shelf, we ain't got it."

Or....."we don't stock it 'cos there's no demand."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:28 am
@Region Philbis,
grow it
don't delay
start now

tomatoes as well
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
We call the seeds coriander and the leaves cilantro.

Go figure...
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:39 am
@JPB,
We in the rest of the world have a secret code when purchasing coriander in a shop. We just add the word leaf, or seed, as applicable Very Happy .
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:19 am
HA! I've been hoarding fresh cilantro and keeping several thousand tons of it in an undisclosed freight train which changes locations every 6 hours.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1256csl.png

I will be expecting a ransom of $500 million for its release or I burn it all in one gigantic salsaesque bonfire!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I put a lot of parsley in tabbouleh, like it a lot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 07:48 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

parsley is a decent substitute...

Go stand in the corner.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 08:31 am
@JPB,
There's much controversy and confusion so it makes the topic spicy. I just read that the dry seed is referred to as coriander.

Then I read this:

"Cilantro, coriander, and Chinese [and Mexican] parsley are all exactly the same thing, which means that the simple answer to this question is that there is no difference between cilantro and coriander. These different terms are used in different regions of the world; in Latin America, for example, many people say “cilantro,” while in the Middle East and Southeast Asia, people say “coriander.”
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:20 am
@Region Philbis,
theres this new thing called SEEDS. Just get a pack of whole coriander seeds and plant em. In but a few days you will have a dense crop of cilantro, a biennial plant in the parsley family.
You will also attract swallowtail butterfly to lay their egg on a cilantro bush and the caterpillar will munch away (sacrificing a cilantro to such a beautiful creature is a small price.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:14 am
@farmerman,

if we do go this route, do you think it'll grow indoors?

we've got a south-facing room full of plants that seem to do well all year round...
JPB

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:26 am
@Region Philbis,
I've grown it indoors under a grow light. It may get a little leggy and reach towards the window unless you rotate it constantly.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

We in the rest of the world have a secret code when purchasing coriander in a shop. We just add the word leaf, or seed, as applicable Very Happy .

We in the civilized world use that system for dill. In the shop you may ask for dill seed or dill weed. (I, for one, have absolutely no idea what dill seed is used for, except as a means of growing more dill weed, and have never attempted its use.)