Muslims must not co-operate: leader

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:10 am
Muslims must not co-operate: leader
Ananova 4/1/04

Muslims cannot co-operate with local authorities against other members of the faith, the outspoken leader of an Islamic group has insisted.

Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad, who leads the London-based group Al-Muhajiroun, was speaking after the mainstream Muslim Council of Britain called on the Islamic community to play its part in the fight against terrorism.

The Council's call followed this week's large-scale anti-terrorism operation in south east England.

Interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Sheikh Omar said: "Muslims have a unique way of life. Co-operating with the authorities against any other Muslims, that is an act of apostasy in Islam.

"Having said that, Muslims in Britain have the right to defend themselves, but without the use of violence. They can gather together, speak with the imams.

"The imams themselves should lecture the Muslim community, not the Muslim Council of Britain who are all of them a bunch of seculars."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 442 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:26 am
The leaders of all the world's religions are fighting a losing 'rearguard' battle for power over the minds of their various parishoners. However the individual adherants have, by choosing a place for their families to live, made a contract with the society in which they reside to obey the laws and requirements of that society.

I think of the works purported to be quoted of 'Jesus Christ';

"give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and give unto 'god' that which is 'god's'. - the separation of church and state!

Of course Muslims, like any other intelligent decent people, should co-operate with their democratically chosen government!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
To put it more bluntly a friend of my enemy is my enemy. When people choose to live in a society they are obligated to obey the laws of that society. Should they be unwilling they should be reminded that the boat goes both ways.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
hmmm; that was certainly blunt, but seemed to smack of the negative approach to secularism.

i however, respect the right of everyone to believe whatever they like so long as it does not inhibit their ability to be decent productive human beings, and expect them to see the twisting of their religion's creed to support missdeeds of any kind for what it is.
0 Replies