How effective are our memories?

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:28 pm
It was suggested on another forum that all man needed to function was memory, that it does everything the brain does -- makes comparisons, calculations, understands, chooses, rejects, etc... What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,302 • Replies: 29

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:47 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I think it's a far cry from saying that memory is what enables man to make choices and weigh options to claiming that, therefore, memory is "all man needed to function." That doesn't even make any sense if you think about it. Are we saying here that man need only remember? Is that all? Then why'd it take a few hundred thousand years for early homo sapiens to achieve anything material, e.g. agriculture (or any other kind of culture, come to that)? Was the memory not functioning adequately.

It's a hell of a lot more complex than that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:37 am
@Rickoshay75,
Man's memory is very selective, although some have better memory than others. Having a photographic memory is no good if that individual didn't know how to use the information memorized. It would ultimately depend on how well any individual is able to use memory in their social interactions and on their job.

It also helps if the individual has charisma whether it's with family, friends, business associates, or as a politician.

It's been researched that the majority of humans use only a small part of our brains potential.

0 Replies

CapnKrunk

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 05:15 pm
@Rickoshay75,
i already regret making an account
roger

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 05:33 pm
@CapnKrunk,
Feel free to leave.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Now that there is documentation that the brain isn't needed, memory is all we have left.

A 44 year old French patient had completely intact memory despite the discovery that his skull almost completely empty! It was full of fluid with just a few centimeters of brain tissue surrounding this empty space

http://www.viewzone.com/memorytest1.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/19/science/removing-half-of-brain-improves-young-epileptics-lives.html

A 44 year old French patient had completely intact memory despite the discovery that his skull was full of fluid,

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/07/brain-not-neces/

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:15 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I doubt that to be that surprising, because they have found that when anyone losses one side of his brain, the other side will take over those functions.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:38 pm
@Rickoshay75,
You actually believe all this ****, don't you, Rick?
Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:28 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You actually believe all this ****, don't you, Rick? >>

It's the documents, not me. I'm only the wondering messenger.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:42 am
Question. How does God remember for all eternity? Won't his collection become so big? Infinite memory?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:47 am
@MWal,
Trying to make sense of god's capabilities is not only daunting, but doesn't make any sense. I remember a time as a child somebody said god knows how many hairs any individual has on their body, because god is all knowing.

I outgrew those fantasies.
MWal

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
I believe. The only way to know is to believe and keep searching.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:42 am
@MWal,
Believing in a fictional character that can't be proved if he/she/it ever existed is a waste of one's time on this planet. Better to live by one simple rule, "respect and honor all living things." Everything else is dogma.
MWal

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How do you know god can't be known? I believe in happiness, and that its an angel.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:02 pm
@MWal,
Happiness has no bearing on whether one believes in any god.
MWal

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But you need to believe to behold happiness' true greatness.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:23 pm
@MWal,
Happiness is universal with or without any religion. Religions have been responsible for more human suffering than any other factor in human history.

Here's a list of christian atrocities/terrorism on Wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
MWal

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What are you talking about, fool. I believe in happiness, I know it can get along so religion. Christianity may be false but religion is a great tool.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:54 pm
@MWal,
Yes, religion is a great tool for control and violence.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Aw, if we didn't have religion, we'd find some way to get the same results. Human nature, ya know?