Shroud of Turin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:43 pm
Do you believe the Shroud is really the burial shroud of Jesus Christ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 14
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:48 pm
Nope, it was a towel he used at the gym. Jesus was a real workou kind of guy.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:38 pm
Didn't carbon-14 tests confirm it only dated back to 800 AD or something like that?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:40 pm
It was an old gym.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:43 pm
How about a DNA analysis?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:44 pm
Trying to find out who the Gym's parents were?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:32 pm
Laughing

fishin, you bad
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:16 pm
fishin' wrote:
It was an old gym.

LOL Very Happy
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:48 pm
Farmerman,

You said this in another thread.

The C14 tests that were done on the fiber had apparently sucked in some modern carbon when a fire occurred sometime in the Middle Ages. The CO2 was absorbed onto the cloth and was a possible contaminant to the shroud dating. So the shroud is no younger than the 12th century, but could be much older. The jury is still out.

Was wondering where you got this information ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:24 am
UM , lemme remember. I think it was partly in the book and also in the American Academy of Forensic sciences. There was also a popular article a few years ago. You can see that there is evidence of some charring and the CO2 could be a contaminant because the C-14 clock is reset when something is burnt, so charring or smoke deposition could add an appearance of youth. The amount of contamination is not quantified . I think they were going to try to clean the threads with a non detergent cleaner to strip any younger carbon , from other sources could be removed. I have no idea where this work has gone.

There was some digital reconstruction of the face print and I think this concluded that the facial print was done using a wood block carved with hhuman features. I think I saw that item on Nova or some PBS science series. Thats all I know , I really havent followed this closely. Acquiunk is your guy, hes an archaeologist
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:45 am
It was carbon dated around the 4 to 5 hundred year mark. End of story.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:17 am
No, it is not old enough to have been the Shroud of Jesus. It was radiocarbon dated to AD 1260-1390, consistent with its first appearance in the 1350s at Lirey in France.

Samples were cleaned in different ways before being tested, were not taken from charred areas, and could not have contained sufficient smoke, bacteria, or other contaminants to skew the dating by 1200 years.

Radiocarbon dating the Shroud of Turin

Skeptic Dictionary on the Shroud

Shroud of Turin web site
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:22 am
Thanks for the helpful information everyone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:15 am
I guess that ends it. As I recalled, the research, even with the "contaminant" theory, made it appear that this was a manufacture relic made for the relic market.

It wouldnt take a lot of contamination to cause a significant error date because, as we know, thecount of the isotope is skewed logarithmically if it were younger, thats why the sample prep gets so critical for a recount.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:39 am
It just goes to show you, the schmata market was alive and flourishing centuries before it made it's way to the lower east side of New York.
0 Replies