A Thought About the Zimmerman Trial.

JTT

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

As fine an exchange as I've seen which illustrates the above.

Didn't you possess enough conviction in your "top of the class" language smarts to explain it yourself, Frank?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:44 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

As fine an exchange as I've seen which illustrates the above.

Didn't you possess enough conviction in your "top of the class" language smarts to explain it yourself, Frank?

Drunk Drunk Laughing
JTT

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Evidently, what you're struggling to say is you don't have that same old confidence in your "top of the class" language smarts.

But it's nice to see that you are still the guy who has always maintained that he addresses the issues head on.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 06:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

A mere 60 years. What's that against eternity?
Surely your memory goes back 60 years and more.
It does, but I neglected the Captain.
( I might have expected him to be a major, by now. )

Did I tell u that Joe Franklin bought me dinner ?
Maybe 10 or 12 years ago.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 11:38 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Evidently, what you're struggling to say is you don't have that same old confidence in your "top of the class" language smarts.

But it's nice to see that you are still the guy who has always maintained that he addresses the issues head on.

Drunk
JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 11:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa Profile:

"I write lots of letters to the editor and op ed pieces. I've had a letter published in The New York Times--and I was lucky enough a few years back to get a full page My Turn article in Newsweek. I've had hundreds of letters published in local newspapers--and have had tens of dozens of op ed essays and guest columns published also."

Quote:
Drunk

The eloquence of Frank Apisa.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 01:02 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Frank Apisa Profile:

"I write lots of letters to the editor and op ed pieces. I've had a letter published in The New York Times--and I was lucky enough a few years back to get a full page My Turn article in Newsweek. I've had hundreds of letters published in local newspapers--and have had tens of dozens of op ed essays and guest columns published also."

Quote:
Drunk

The eloquence of Frank Apisa.

Drunk Drunk
0 Replies