THANK HUMANS THERE ARE HUMANS, BECAUSE...

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think the IT nerds would be interested--getting their business is the real way to become a tee-shirt millionaire.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Self-delusion is a wonderful thing . . .

I don't engage in it myself...so I'll take your word on that.

Don't mess with me! I'm a gold medal self-deluder!! Cool
Don't you forget that!! Mad

Okay, Steve. But you seemed rather a realistic guy to me. We gotta do more beer...and whatever that drink was that Jonathan made.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:42 pm
I'm concerned with your mental health, Frank. Obviously, before there were opposable thumbs no one could write about the universe. If only triceratops had seen the super nova, how would he have told us?
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:45 pm
@neologist,
and probably they were all wiped out by the great flood before there were blueberries. Blueberries coulda helped em with all those anti oxidants. But if you drown, aint much ablueberry can do for that
neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 07:59 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I'm thankful the blueberries didn't drown. When the family vacationed in New Hampshire, (just after the invention of opposable thumbs). We kids would spend hours in the power cut gatherin' them goodies. Though, they might have been huckleberries for all I know.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 08:03 pm
@neologist,
did they make a huckling sound when annoyed?
neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 11:43 pm
@farmerman,
We never annoyed 'em. Unless you count eatin' em
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 07:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Jesus H. Christ...how on Earth in this day and age can anything even remotely approaching this kind of thinking still be going on?

Prescriptivism is still going on, Frank. People supporting and covering up for war criminals and terrorists is still going on, too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
That's nice, don't fight.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:13 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Okay.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:13 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Okay again.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

Okay.
Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

JLNobody wrote:

Okay again.
Laughing Laughing
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 09:12 am
@neologist,
oooh damn, the only 1 who bite was the nicest of them... Sad
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Just wanted all to be doubly sure. . .
0 Replies

igm

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 05:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

...according to the religious non-dualists and Buddhists here in A2K...without them, there would be no universe.

The Buddha never taught that, "there would be no Universe" if there were no humans. You are misinformed about Buddhism if you think that is correct. I am a Buddhist here on A2K and Buddhists should not believe (because there is no evidence for it) that the Universe requires humans for that purpose.

G H

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 07:47 am
@igm,
Quote:
I am a Buddhist here on A2K and Buddhists should not believe (because there is no evidence for it) that the Universe requires humans for that purpose.

Yes. Evolution certainly didn't introduce anything new with ourselves or similar / lesser conscious agents that preceded us, or thrive elsewhere. Every good materialist knows that the universe is a panpsychic mind that continually yields empirical and intellectual evidence for itself (of our outputted anthropic variety no less!) even in the absence of conscious organisms producing their finite perceptions and reflective thoughts about it. Why, when crusty old Uncle Herbert died for a few minutes on the operating table before being revived, he confirmed what awaits us when we deteriorate back into the normal, background state of what brainless matter is like:

"What the #### are these ######## afterlife believers talking about?! I didn't experience any ####ing thing whatsoever. Blank, nada, zero. I didn't even have cognition of there being nothingness. Completely missing manifestations and understandings of any kind, whether visual, auditory, tactile, descriptive, etc."

"But sir, isn't that just because your memory system didn't record anything during that stretch? You might just have missing time when trying to recall that interval...."

"What the #### is the difference? Absence is absence. The whack-a-doodles could claim two pink elephants were dancing or a whole omnidirectional macro- and micro- panorama of the cosmos could have been exhibited: 'Golly gosh, Herb, unfortunately you can't remember the marvelous experience of death slash dissolving back into the rest of overall being as it usually is." Even when all means of sensory and conclusion-generating evidence is gone from the opposite condition, I get treated to hearing about this speculative #### which was transpiring in nothingness once back here in alive and conscious land."

Well, perhaps Uncle Herbert isn't the best representative after all for fawning over all the glorious proof the universe has for itself when minus the most developed stages and emergent innovations of polycellular biotic entities. But by damn, there's always some classic faith or internally conflicting metaphysical ideology to to set us straight about it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:29 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

...according to the religious non-dualists and Buddhists here in A2K...without them, there would be no universe.

The Buddha never taught that, "there would be no Universe" if there were no humans. You are misinformed about Buddhism if you think that is correct. I am a Buddhist here on A2K and Buddhists should not believe (because there is no evidence for it) that the Universe requires humans for that purpose.

I was not talking about what the Buddha taught. I am talking about what the non-dualists and Buddhists there in A2K assert or imply.
igm

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I was not talking about what the Buddha taught. I am talking about what the non-dualists and Buddhists there in A2K assert or imply.

I've covered that in my reply... I'm not sure why you need to reply as if I didn't?