Subway Sleepers

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 04:30 pm
For those of you who have to commute by subway, I am sure this has happened to you. You are sitting there uncomfortably on a crowded subway completely absorbed in your book, when you feel a slight pressure on your shoulder. You are horrified to find a sleeper leaning against you, drooling and snoring. What do you do? Do you give a slight nudge? Do you shove him roughly? Do you embarrass him by making a scene? Or do you figure, heck, the guy has had a tough day, let him use me as a human pillow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,908 • Replies: 46
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 04:32 pm
heh, I don't take the T any more but when I did 'd get the occassional sleeper. I always just gave 'em a little nudge. They always seemed to get the hint.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
Just pull out your magic marker and write "DO NOT FALL ASLEEP ON THE SUBWAY" on his/her forehead and face. Try to do it backwards so they'll be able to read it in the mirror. Indelible markers are better.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
My wife was falling asleep in church, so I started gently rocking her back and forth, until she tipped over and fell into the isle. She got really mad at me... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that to a stranger on the subway.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:24 pm
I'd give them a slight nudge. Usually they are very apologetic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:37 pm
when in the CITY and not being allowed to carry my 30-30m I carry this as my urban transit motivator- cattle prod
http://www.interplay.com/falloutbos/images/cattle-prod.jpg
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:39 pm
Dys-

Laughing
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:49 pm
Equus wrote:
Just pull out your magic marker and write "DO NOT FALL ASLEEP ON THE SUBWAY" on his/her forehead and face. Try to do it backwards so they'll be able to read it in the mirror. Indelible markers are better.

PERFECT!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 08:00 pm
When I rode the subway, I either gave them a nudge or leaned forward so that they would fall over. Ahahahaha.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:28 am
It completely depends on what they look like. If he's attractive, I let him stay! (Yes! I have done this!) However, most of the time they're not, so I switch to another seat as soon as one becomes available.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:43 am
Never had this problem on BART. Lots of people (including myself) slept on BART, but the seats were wide enough where we didn't need to use our seatmate as a pillow.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:56 am
Using (having used, to be correct :wink: ) the RER in the Paris region quite often, it always amazes me, how people know that they must wake up and leave the train at this station.
I didn't notice so many sleepers in London suburbian trains, though.

Well, I never did anything in foreign countries, but here in Germany I just push them away - or just let it be (when female :wink: ).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:53 am
Eva wrote:
It completely depends on what they look like. If he's attractive, I let him stay! (Yes! I have done this!)

Yer a baaaaad gurl! Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:03 am
Whenever I give a slight nudge, they just sort of shake awake and after a minute go back to sleep and start leaning on me again. I like some of these other inventive ideas. Although the falling in the aisle might not work as I am only liable to send the sleeper into the lap another passenger. I will have to carry a marker with me for next time.

I don't know where to buy a cattle prod, any suggestions? Also is it small enough to carry in a purse? Remember you are talking to a city girl.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:59 am
Linkat wrote:
....I don’t know where to buy a cattle prod, any suggestions? Also is it small enough to carry in a purse? Remember you are talking to a city girl.

Now there's an untapped market. Just put the A2K logo on it and we could finally make a profit! Woohoo!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:02 am
You know, there used to be the occasional dude engaged in far more disturbing activities on the El. They're to be ignored. Sleepers get a gentle elbow to the ribs, followed by progressively sharper elbows if they don't wake up. You wouldn't want them to miss their stop, would you?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:49 am
Whenever I'm down in London and someone falls asleep on me, I move around so that the uncomfortableness of my moving wakes them up.

There are far more bizzare things that have happened on public transport. I remember one particularly lewd event on the Newcastle metro (a tram system)... it was shocking!

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:04 am
aw, leave 'em alone -- we've all dozed off on a train (haven't we?) Confused

Quote:
it always amazes me, how people know that they must wake up and leave the train at this station.

if we're talking about a 15-20 minute commute, they're probably not in deep REM sleep...
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:18 am
Never happened to me on the subway. I cant believe that anyone would fall asleep on a crowded subway car!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
I slept practically every day on the train, both subway and commuter, going to and coming home. The commuter train was heavenly and if you were lucky enough to get one of the single seats on the top berth, well, that was some good sleeping! I'd wake up raring to go.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Subway Sleepers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 06:31:30